Size limit on bluetooth packets

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Size limit on bluetooth packets

Postby Jannick » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi

Im fooling around with some nxt->pc communication in order to get a grip on the concepts. My goal is to use bluetooth to send some sensor readings and such back to a pc for a high level action planning. I can see that the current implementation sends each byte in a seperate BT packet, which gives me some concern for what kind of execution time you will se when you try to send a "large" byte array. I havnt gotten around to test on this yet, but do any of you have experience in this regard?

I did instead play a bit with sending up to 254 bytes packets by bypassing the outputstreams, which seems to work fine. The problem arrises when I want to receive it on the pc, with NXTCommBluecove performing this check:

Code: Select all
       if (lsb != 1 || msb != 0) throw new IOException("Packet more than 1 byte"); 

Is there any reason that this limit is here? Is it because of umimplemented code, or are there some hardware/protocol limit to force this? And lastly, have anyone had success with sending larger packets from the nxt, and how did you accomplish that?

Thanks in advance
Jannick
New User

Postby CoBB » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:27 pm

There’s certainly nothing in the way of it if you’re using a low-level API. I wrote my own PC client (using bluez though, since it’s for Linux), and it works without a hitch. If you don’t need the abstraction that those streams provide and are willing to process the raw packets yourself, you can definitely do it.
CoBB
Novice

Postby lawrie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:46 pm

There is nothing in the hardware that imposes any limits.

The implementation of streams is very primitive at the moment. The NXT sends in 1-byte packets, and the PC only sends anything when you call flush().

The low-level Bluetooth API on the NXT has deficiencies as well. It follows the Lego convention of using 2-byte headers for Bluetooth (but not for USB), but does not need to. Also, it currently ignores the MSB of the 2-byte header, limiting packets to 254 bytes.

I would like to remove the 2-byte headers for Java streams, as there is no need to split the stream into packets.

In release 0.3, data coming back to the PC did not use 2-byte headers, but when I implemented NXT to NXT comms, I add the headers as they are currently needed on a receiving NXT. The check for 1-byte packets was added at that time. It would be fairly easy to change the NXTCommBlueCove (and NXTCommBluez) code to allow packets of more than 1 byte.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby Jannick » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks for both answers. I've made what basicly amount to a BufferedOutputStream on the nxt, and patched the BTOutputStream with a byte array write method that only kicks in when the len < 254. Will try to modify NXTCommBluecove as suggested.
Jannick
New User

Return to NXJ Software