Firmware Update Problem

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Firmware Update Problem

Postby rcgann » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:14 pm

I'm running Windows XP SP 2 and Java 1.6 Update 2. I've installed the installed the leJOS software and set JAVA_HOME and NXJ_HOME. I've installed the Lego Mindstorms NXT software and the Windows libusb-Win32 directory in a location where there would be no spaces in its folder name.

I opened a Command Prompt window so that I would be ready to type nxjflash.

I placed batteries in the NXT. As I recall, I then connected it to the computer using the serial cable. It may have been at this point that it clearly indicated through its display and by sound that it was on. The computer told me that it had recognized the NXT as a USB device.

I turned the NXT brick over and inserted a paper clip in the hole near the USB connector on the rear. I tried to keep the paper clip pressed down, but my hands shake a bit, and the paper clip might have might have slipped to the side.

As a result I never heard the click and was unable to enter the nxjflash command. Now the unit will not turn on. Have I converted it into a $135 paperweight? Thanks for any assistance you are able to render.
Department of Computer & Information Sciences
rcgann
New User

Postby roger » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:31 am

Not to worry, it is not yet a paperweight.
When in reset mode, it does not give much of a clue about being on.
If you remove the USB cable and plug it again, does the computer recognize the usb device? If not, try the orange button . If still not recognized, try removing the batteries for 10 minutes or so, then begin again with the paper clip.
Once the computer recognizes the usb device, nxjflash will most likely work. If not, what error message do you get?
Good luck,
Roger
roger

Return to NXJ Software