Already used it for a while, accidentally removed firmware

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Already used it for a while, accidentally removed firmware

Postby otro11 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 pm

ok so basically, exactly what the description says happened.. not much else. I installed everything, had it working, my computer crashed, I had to reinstall everything, I am trying to nxjflash from the terminal, but I keep getting the error:

$ nxjflash
Building firmware image.
VM file: /Users/system/Library/lejos_nxj/bin/lejos_nxt_rom.bin
Menu file: /Users/system/Library/lejos_nxj/bin/StartUpText.bin
VM size: 52752 bytes.
Menu size: 38016 bytes.
Total image size 91008/94208 bytes.
Locating device in firmware update mode.
an error occurred: Cannot load a comm driver

So I tried to fix this by using "Update NXT Firmware" in the NXT application, but It wiped everything from the brick >_<

I am pretty sure I reinstalled everything else though... I downloaded the Fantom Driver (apparently it's included now so I didn't even have to. I set the PATH and CLASSPATH, I set the permissions in the bin dir.. oh and obviously I installed the actual NXJ package... what did I forget?
otro11
New User

Re: Already used it for a while, accidentally removed firmwa

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 am

Did you install the Fantom driver? Are you sure it is the latest version? Is there anything else different to before? What OS are you running? What about Java? Oh and have you been able to install the standard Lego firmware on the NXT, using the Lego software?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes I installed thte Fantom driver, I'm pretty sure it is the latest version.. I downloaded it from the lejos link page.. Is there a way to check? The only thing different from before is my login name on the computer, and I already adjusted the environmental vars as such.. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.7 java I have Java SE 6 (64-bit) v1.6.0_24-b07-334.. but yeah, I remember some step in java prefs or something...

and yeah, the standard NXT software v1.28 is on the brick, which i accidentally installed over my lejos installation..

I feel so dumb, I had it for like, a few monthes.. and then I stupidly erased it..
otro11
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Get the latest drivers from the Lego mindstorms site:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... spx#Driver
You need to be using 1.1.3 (which is the latest). You also need to ensure that you are running your Java system in 32 bit mode not 64bit. I'm not sure how you do that, but there should be threads on here that tell you how...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

andy,
that link has two drivers available: a) "Fantom Driver" b) "Driver 1.02" by "Driver 1.03" I assume you mean 1.02? and to switctch java to 32-bit mode,

don't I just drag "Java 32-bit" up over the "64-bit" version, changing it to the "preferred version"?
otro11
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:34 pm

No I mean driver 1.1.3 (as I posted), this is the latest version. Click on the downloads button on this page:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... spx#Driver
and you will see it. As to the Java version thing, sorry no idea I don't use a Mac. What you suggest may work, but to be totally safe I would disable the 64bit version. But as I have already said there are lots of other posts on the forum that cover this topic. So I would search for them and see what they recommend...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:17 pm

ok, I got it to work! thanks so much Andy! and it was a matter of dragging the 32-bit Java above the 64-bit Java.. But my first instinct was the same as yours: I tried disabling 64-bit first, but for some reason (probably because they are the same version of Java) it disables both if I try to disable the 64-bit.. But i got it all to work, thanks a lot!
otro11
New User

Return to NXJ Hardware