Kinetic sculpture

Post your NXJ projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Kinetic sculpture

Postby hansres » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:40 am

Hello
I'm from switzerland - that is not unusual, but my english is quit bad like the swiss gastroscene :-)- sorry.

I would like manage 42 Lego-Servomotors with an i Phone for a kinetic sculpture.
On the iphone/or android, i would have 42 squares, and each square represented one servomotor. The square can show 12 positions (icons or colors) and can managed with gesture - with the finger.

How can i adressed 42 Servomotors?

Thanks for help - and sorry - i hope that can understand ...:-)

Hansres
hansres
New User

Re: Kinetic sculpture

Postby lawrie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 pm

By Servomotor, I assume you mean the standard LEGO NXT motor. You either need 11 NXT bricks or a lot of multiplexers, like the Mindsensors NXTMMX. Each of these support 2 extra motors, so you would need about 20 of them, and lots of external batteries. If several of the motors make identical movements, you might be able to use port splitters.

You also have the slight problem that the iPhone does not support Java. Android is supported.

There is nothing wrong with a Swiss fondue (apart from being fattening and cheesy). Is there another Swiss dish?
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Re: Kinetic sculpture

Postby s.frings » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 am

It might be a better option to use a microcontroller module with I2C interface to the NXT and regular R/C car servo motors.
For example this one: http://www.shop.robotikhardware.de/shop ... cts_id=198
s.frings
Active User

Return to NXJ Projects