I need help installing lejos on my nxt

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Re: I need help installing lejos on my nxt

Postby graphmastur » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 pm

It's very very VERY difficult to brick it, even if you forcefully try, I don't think it can be bricked completely.
graphmastur
Novice

Postby skoehler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 pm

dombeef wrote:I guess I will try it under windows then, can it be bricked?

No. The NXT is not bricked. The ticking you hear is a software which is built into the CPU of the NXT. It will always allow you to upload a working firmware to the NXT.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby graphmastur » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Which, for the record, is why you need the driver. The firmware comes up as something completely different than the raw device when it's in firmware update mode.
graphmastur
Novice

Postby dombeef » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Ok, thanks, I got it back to factory settings under windows, can I install the lejos on the nxt under windows and get it running under mac? Or is it like a one computer only thing. Because I dont want to code it under windows, I just use windows for applications that aren't available for mac and I am used to mac more, it also is more safe.

And thanks for all of your help, I wouldnt even know what to do without you both!
dombeef
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

dombeef wrote:Ok, thanks, I got it back to factory settings under windows, can I install the lejos on the nxt under windows and get it running under mac?

Yes.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby graphmastur » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 pm

You can flash it yes, but unless you can actually connect to the device, you can't send stuff to it. I would try it anyway, though.
graphmastur
Novice

Postby skoehler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 pm

graphmastur wrote:You can flash it yes, but unless you can actually connect to the device, you can't send stuff to it. I would try it anyway, though.

I guess he can connect to it when the Lego or leJOS firmware runs, but not when it's in SAM-BA mode (when it's ticking).
This issue is kind of similar to one on Linux, where the NXT is also recognized as a modem. This will not happen, when the Lego or the leJOS firmware is running.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby dombeef » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Wow, thanks a lot, I now have lejos installed on my nxt!

skoehler wrote:I guess he can connect to it when the Lego or leJOS firmware runs, but not when it's in SAM-BA mode (when it's ticking).
This issue is kind of similar to one on Linux, where the NXT is also recognized as a modem. This will not happen, when the Lego or the leJOS firmware is running.

And you were totally correct, It works now, luckly.

Although it is odd that it did that, do you know why?
dombeef
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 pm

dombeef wrote:Although it is odd that it did that, do you know why?

The SAM-BA in system program advertises itself as a USB CDC/ACM device which is assumed to be something like a modem by both Linux and OSX.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby graphmastur » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Yep, basically. Although you might want to try it now. I had to first flash it with windows come to think of it, but that was a long while ago, so I forgot. I can flash it easily with mac os x now.
graphmastur
Novice

Previous

Return to NXJ Software