Ruining firmware update bit

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Ruining firmware update bit

Postby dimastep » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:26 pm

I wonder if anyone knows how this firmware update bit works. I heard it has a limited lifespan, 100 updates. When does it get flipped?

Here is what I am doing. I am running Lejos-OSEK and to upload a program I need to put NXT in firmware update mode. Then I upload a program. When I am done for the day I just pull the battery out. Next day when I start NXT it starts ticking again and I can upload program again. Does firmware bit get changed when NXT is powered on again? I don't want to ruin it.
dimastep
New User

Postby roger » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Not to worry. The firmware is stored in the flash memory which does not forget even when deprived of power. Furthermore, I think the rumor of 100 update lifespan is pessimistic. It is more likely 7500.
See http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/nxt/?n=133
Roger
roger

Postby lawrie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi dimastep,

As you are running leJOS OSEK and not leJOS NXJ, I believe the NXT stays in firmware update mode (as leJOS NXJ used to) and the OSEK program runs in RAM.

The firmware running in SAMBA, the boot monitor. There is no change of firmware and no use of lock bits.

As Roger says the limit is much higher than 100. I did several hundred uploads of firmware while I was developing leJOS with no adverse effect.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software