Mac OSX 10.6.8 nxjbrowse: No NXT found

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Mac OSX 10.6.8 nxjbrowse: No NXT found

Postby neek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to leJOS and I'm stuck on the installation. I did everything according to the tutorial, but for some reason nxtbrowse won't list my NXT USB-connection. I searched forum and the only suggestion I found is to use java with -d32 flag. As I understand for the latest versions of leJOS (0.91beta) this is not necessary anymore as java is already called there with -d32 flag by default. Anyway, I echoed execution string in nxjbrowse script and this is what I saw for "nxjbrowse -u":

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/bin/java -d32 -Dnxj.home=/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/.. -DCOMMAND_NAME=nxjbrowse -classpath /Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/bcel.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/bluecove-gpl.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/bluecove.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/commons-cli.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/jcommon.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/jfreechart.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/3rdparty/stax-api-1.0.1.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/charting.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/jtools.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/pccomm.jar:/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj/bin/../lib/pc/pctools.jar lejos.pc.tools.NXJBrowser -u
leJOS NXJ> Failed to find any NXTs
No NXT found - is it switched on and plugged in (for USB)?

My NXT is connected and the native Lego software can communicate with it.

In Java Preferences I can see two Java versions (32- and 64-bit) 1.6.0_29-b11-402 and I placed the 32-bit version on top of the other in the list. I have the following environment variables set up:
export NXJ_HOME="/Users/neek/Coding/leJOS/nxj" (leJOS installed here)
export LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home"
export PATH="$NXJ_HOME/bin:$PATH"

I've run out of ideas. Although installing Java 1.5 seems to be the only promising option to try, I really don't like it as it might break other Java-dependent software that now works OK.
Hope someone can give me a hint of what else to try.
Thanking in advance for any help.
neek
New User

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.8 nxjbrowse: No NXT found

Postby skoehler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 am

Have you installed the LATEST driver from mindstorms.com? Version 1.1.3 ?
http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... river.aspx

I don't think that you need to install java 1.5. Java 1.6 should work just fine.

What does nxjflash tell you while the NXT is connected via USB?

Also something doesn't match:
neek wrote:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/bin/java -d32 ...

export LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home"

It's 1.5 above and 1.6 below.
But I assume the 1.5 folder is a symbolic link to 1.6?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby neek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 am

Hi, skoehler, thank you for your reply.

Have you installed the LATEST driver from mindstorms.com? Version 1.1.3 ?

Sorry I can't check the driver right now, but I'm pretty sure I did check it yesterday, it was the latest 1.1.3.

What does nxjflash tell you while the NXT is connected via USB?

It actually all started off with nxjflash. So, basically it says the same "No NXT found" error.

But I assume the 1.5 folder is a symbolic link to 1.6?

Yes, I first tried to use which seemed to be "different" versions of Java, but then I discovered that they (1.5, 1.5.0, 1.6 etc.) are all just a bunch of symlinks to 1.6 version.
neek
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 am

Your problem seems to be a very uncommon one. The most common problem is, that the jfantom.jnilib cannot be loaded, either due to the missing -d32 or due to the lack of the fantom driver. But you would have been bombarded with error messages if that wouldn't work. So I basically conclude, that the fantom driver can be loaded. However, for some reason the leJOS tools can't find the NXT and they can't talk to it. I'm very puzzled.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:23 am

I assume you do not have the native Lego software running at the same time as you are trying to talk to it using leJOS?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby neek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks gloomyandy for your reply.
Surely enough I don't have the native Lego software running at the same time. Or should I? :-)

But you would have been bombarded with error messages if that wouldn't work.

Yes, I found it baffling too. No errors at all from java itself.

I'm gonna try to reconnect it once again with the native software later today. I'm getting a little doubtful. The thing is, I haven't actually use the brick for almost a year. But it should be alright - it was in a safe place, batteries removed and so far, it hasn't shown any signs of malfunction: display is on, buttons work and USB-connection on the brick itself is recognised.
neek
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 pm

neek wrote:Thanks gloomyandy for your reply.
Surely enough I don't have the native Lego software running at the same time. Or should I? :-)

Actually they shouldn't run at the same time. However, on OSX it's confusing (at least for me) that application continue to run, even if you close the main window. So you want make sure, that the lego software is really terminated.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby neek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:11 am

The native NXT Mindstorms software doesn't see the brick via USB. I apologise to have misguided you at start. I now remember that I always communicated with the brick via bluetooth.
I have no idea why it happens, though. I reinstalled the native software and the driver yesterday but no luck. The NXT isn't listed in the "Connections window", although I can see the USB connection in the System Profiler (I could have attached a screenshot but I don't see an "Attach" button anywhere). Perhaps there is an explicit way to search USB-ports for the NXT in the native software I don't know of?
neek
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:36 am

You should google and do some research on why the Mindstorms software does not work via USB. I believe, the leJOS issue is related. It's probabaly an issue with permission or something like it.
Also, did you install the Snow Leopard fix? http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... tches.aspx

If you manage to flash the leJOS firmware on another PC, you can probably use NXJBrowse etc. via bluetooth.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby neek » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:15 am

I ended up trying the same thing on Ubuntu and it worked! At first I was desperate when I saw the same "No NXT found" error there too, but then I fixed the USB port permissions and from then on everything went smoothly. I have no idea why NXT won't pair with Mac OS X via USB (it works via bluetooth, though). It might be permissions as you suggested but if so I still haven't figured out where.

Big thanks to you for your help!
Cheers.
neek
New User

Return to NXJ Software