Build own StartUpText.bin

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Build own StartUpText.bin

Postby marvin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 am

Hello together,

I am new to java alltogether and made my first steps with java using leJOS :-)

Because I like to tweak firmware I also got a snapshot of the 0.9.1 source and tried to generate the lejos_nxt_rom.bin and StartUpText.bin.

I managed to get a working lejos_nxt_rom.bin but the StartUpText.bin only gives a nearly not readable "Exception: String" and some numbers. That is all :-(

I am using ubuntu linux 10.04, jre1.604 and gcc4.4.

Does anybody has a hint for me? I searched but did not find any helpful hints contrary to the lejos_nxt_rom.bin...

Thank you very much,
Bye marvin

I am feeling very depressed...
--
marvin
Novice

Re: Build own StartUpText.bin

Postby skoehler » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 am

You don't need to use a snapshot and you don't need to rebuild lejos_nxt_rom.bin.
Just download the 0.9.1 sources, and edit the startup project, and rebuild StartUpText.bin.

You should decode the exception using the nxjdebugtool. It will tell you where the exception happened. See the tutorial for examples.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Re: Build own StartUpText.bin

Postby marvin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Hello,

thank you for reminding me the menu being a java program. I forgot that I simply can load the menu as a nxj to the NXT and try everything before flashing as part of the firmware. And thank you for the hint to take a look on the tutorial. I read first articles and did not remember "Error Handling and Debugging". The complete tutorial is really well written.

I found the problem: REVISION is set to "$Revision$" and later string methods are accessing this string further than maxLength. When using svn with the properties it will replace $Revision$ with the appropriate revision string but when loading this via the tarball there are no svn infos left... -> string exceptions.

I wanted to change some small things (display contrast) in the firmware so I compiled it.
When using ant with the build.xml files - well - there is "../" hard coded in there so the basic classes have to be build in the development directory. When using eclipse and simply renaming the nxj files to bin files it works without building all the other stuff.

One question came up watching the memory of the menu growing: How to set up the start address of the filesystem? I only found the symbols MNUA, MNUL and FLSP without any values?

Thank you!
Bye marvin
--
marvin
Novice

Return to NXJ Software