Lejos Maven repo?

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Lejos Maven repo?

Postby pepijndevos » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm quite new to Lejos, and I'm positively surprised by the stdlib. However, I noticed a few things that should IMO be a library rather than a core class. I'm also sure that there is a lot of great code in posts on forums and blogs that I'll never get to see.

I think it would be great to have a maven repository for Lejos code. Would more people be interested in that?
pepijndevos
New User

Re: Lejos Maven repo?

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:32 pm

pepijndevos wrote:I'm quite new to Lejos, and I'm positively surprised by the stdlib. However, I noticed a few things that should IMO be a library rather than a core class.

Example?

pepijndevos wrote:I'm also sure that there is a lot of great code in posts on forums and blogs that I'll never get to see.
I think it would be great to have a maven repository for Lejos code. Would more people be interested in that?

In principle, everybody here is free to create a library for leJOS and offer JAR files for download that one can copy to lib/nxt or lib/pc. leJOS is kind of extensible in that sense.

So far, we have not written the necessary maven plugins to compile code for programs running on the NXT. If you're tryint to compile a NXT-side program with maven yourself, you're probably doing it wrong already (you need to be really careful with the bootclasspath). Integrations for maven is work in progress. Once we manages to get most of the issues sorted out, we will probably push leJOS into maven and provide maven plugins for building leJOS programs. However, unless that has happened, I don't see much benefit of having a maven repository for leJOS.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby pepijndevos » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am

skoehler wrote:Example?

lejos.robotics.navigation.Ballbot? I don't know, it's just a matter of taste, where do you draw the line between core and library.

skoehler wrote:So far, we have not written the necessary maven plugins to compile code for programs running on the NXT. If you're tryint to compile a NXT-side program with maven yourself, you're probably doing it wrong already (you need to be really careful with the bootclasspath). Integrations for maven is work in progress. Once we manages to get most of the issues sorted out, we will probably push leJOS into maven and provide maven plugins for building leJOS programs. However, unless that has happened, I don't see much benefit of having a maven repository for leJOS.

Agreed, for the compiling part. The bootclassapth is tricky, as I found out while compiling Mirah to Lejos.

However, I do think it would be useful to have the repo as a resource of software, even if that means you'll have to download the jars yourself.
pepijndevos
New User

Postby mikebridge » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:14 am

pepijndevos wrote:I'm quite new to Lejos, and I'm positively surprised by the stdlib. However, I noticed a few things that should IMO be a library rather than a core class. I'm also sure that there is a lot of great code in posts on forums and blogs that I'll never get to see.

Yes, I'm new here too, and I'd definitely find it useful. I built a local mvn repository in order to run leJOS from Clojure using leiningen, but it would be nice to have a standard remote maven repository.

-Mike
mikebridge
New User

Return to NXJ Software