lejos broken due to nipalu error

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

lejos broken due to nipalu error

Postby WalrusBrigade » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:45 am

I feel like this might be more of a java issue than a lejos issue, but I am pretty stuck and could use some help. Quick background: I am a high school teacher and have been using lejos for 3 years. This year, on the day before a lab where I use bricks to control oscillators, I was unable to flash the firmware to the bricks and got the following two errors.

First, when I tried to run nxjflashg i got the following window popup:

"lejos.pc.tools.NXJFlashG quit unexpectedly while using the nipalu plug-in"

I've tried using other commands and get similar errors on ones that look like this:

Martin-Aguilera-MacBook-2:lejos_nxj martinaguilera$ nxjflash
Building firmware image.
VM file: /Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/lejos_nxt_rom.bin
Menu file: /Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/StartUpText.bin
Magic string found at offset 0x40
VM size: 55872 bytes.
Menu size: 47736 bytes.
Total image size 103800/104448 bytes.
Locating device in firmware update mode.
/Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/nxjflash: line 78: 452 Abort trap: 6 "$JAVA" $NXJ_FORCE32 "-Dnxj.home=$NXJ_HOME" "-DCOMMAND_NAME=$NXJ_COMMAND" -classpath "$NXJ_CP_PC" lejos.pc.tools.NXJFlash "$@"

I'm not a programmer, so this is mostly a bunch of jargon to me. Apparently there is an issue with line 78 of . . . i don't know what. If anyone has seen this error before and I can point out what I might be doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Martin Aguilera
WalrusBrigade
New User

Re: lejos broken due to nipalu error

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 am

Do you have lab view installed on that system? If so the lab view driver for the nxt may be messing up the standard Lego nxt fantom driver. See the following thread
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Repeata ... -p/1314759
You may want to try reinstalling the Lego driver. You can download the latest version from the Lego mind storms site.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby WalrusBrigade » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:45 am

I dont have labview installed on this system (although I do on a different machine), so I don't think it could be those drivers. I have tried reinstalling lejos a few times, but I haven't gone so far as reinstalling NXT-G and updating those drivers I really would like to keep using lejos since it gives me so much more control than the other languages I've tried so far. I've got labview on a different machine, but the documentation isn't a good as lejos (or I haven't found it). Thanks.

Martin
WalrusBrigade
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:22 am

I would recommend that you update the Lego drivers, it seems that the problem may be with them. These drivers are used by both NXT-G and leJOS to talk to the NXT...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

Download the driver from here:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... river.aspx

Download the Fantom Driver 1.1.3 for Mac.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby WalrusBrigade » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the help so far.

I tried reinstalling the drivers for OS X, but still get basically the same error when I run nxjflash:

nxjflash
Building firmware image.
VM file: /Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/lejos_nxt_rom.bin
Menu file: /Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/StartUpText.bin
VM size: 55872 bytes.
Menu size: 47736 bytes.
Total image size 103800/104448 bytes.
/Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/nxjflash: line 78: 299 Abort trap: 6 "$JAVA" $NXJ_FORCE32 "-Dnxj.home=$NXJ_HOME" "-DCOMMAND_NAME=$NXJ_COMMAND" -classpath "$NXJ_CP_PC" lejos.pc.tools.NXJFlash "$@"

The one difference that I find is the number "299" used to be "452." It consistently comes out as 299 so that might mean something but not to me. Maybe it is a line call? Thanks again for all the help. I'm totally confused because when I have set up lejos in the past it has been super easy.

Martin
WalrusBrigade
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Can you try to install the standard Lego firmware using the NXT-G software. I'm pretty sure this is the same problem as being reported here:
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic. ... &t=1167651
Unfortunately it would seem that so far there is no fix for it. If you have another system you may want to try using that to flash the firmware...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby WalrusBrigade » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:16 pm

It does sound like that is the problem. I recently installed 10.7.3 and as a result haven't been able to run the original NXT-G software. For a while.

On a side note I have gotten leJOS up and working on a different machine (running 10.5.8) and have gotten nxjflash to work just fine. Now I am having an eclipse problem where it wont install the plugin. But that can be left for a different post.

Although I'm not out of the woods yet, I've still made some progress and I want to thank you both for your help.

Martin Aguilera
WalrusBrigade
New User

Postby WalrusBrigade » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 am

Perhaps my final update.

I've gotten 3 different results on 3 different computers (all macs). On my work laptop (running 10.7) I've run into the problem that started this whole thread and haven't been able to figure out a solution. On my work desktop (running 10.5) I can install lejos and run it from terminal just fine, but am having problems getting eclipse to load any plugins. On my home desktop (running 10.6) I've got everything going just fine. Unfortunately the home computer is the one that is least useful. Still looking for ideas.

Martin Aguilera
WalrusBrigade
New User

Postby skoehler » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

What's the problem with the Eclipse plug-in? Did you download a 32 Bit edition of Eclipse? Which version? Which update-site are you using?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby WalrusBrigade » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

sorry, that was a little incomplete of me to just say "eclipse" wasn't working.

I downloaded a variety of versions of eclipse, but 32 bit and 64 bit. I think I settled on the one for Java Development, but I also tried a EE version and the classic version as well. I'm pretty sure the problem was from eclipse because it wouldn't load ay plugins, not just the lejos plugin. All the same I got it working today by reinstalling the 32 bit java developers version. No idea why that didn't work last night. Now I have it working on 2 machines (one at home and one at work) which is good enough for me to keep using the software in my labs (tomorrow it will be providing frequency control to an oscillator). The one machine where it wont work is my work laptop. That is the cause of the original error message (as shown in the first post) and is also the one running 10.7. I'll keep pluging away at that computer but now that I am up and running the problem becomes a little less urgent. Thanks.

Martin Aguilera
WalrusBrigade
New User

Postby WalrusBrigade » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:34 am

I'm back again, and with the same problem (sort of). I have been trying to ramp up my use of the NXT as a data collection tool for an AP Physics class, but haven't been able to get the software to work again. It has been a year since I have done anything with leJOS, and in that time my main laptop has moved up to OSX 10.8 while I have two other machines at work running 10.9 and 10.7. My problem is that on all of those machines when I try to run nxjflash I get the following error:

Martin-Aguilera-MacBook-2:bin martinaguilera$ nxjflash
Building firmware image.
VM file: /Applications/leJOS_NXJ/bin/lejos_nxt_rom.bin
Menu file: /Applications/leJOS_NXJ/bin/StartUpText.bin
VM size: 55888 bytes.
Menu size: 47740 bytes.
Total image size 103804/104448 bytes.
/Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/nxjflash: line 78: 404 Abort trap: 6 "$JAVA" $NXJ_FORCE32 "-Dnxj.home=$NXJ_HOME" "-DCOMMAND_NAME=$NXJ_COMMAND" -classpath "$NXJ_CP_PC" lejos.pc.tools.NXJFlash "$@"
Martin-Aguilera-MacBook-2:bin martinaguilera$ nxjflashg
/Applications/lejos_nxj/bin/nxjflashg: line 78: 421 Abort trap: 6 "$JAVA" $NXJ_FORCE32 "-Dnxj.home=$NXJ_HOME" "-DCOMMAND_NAME=$NXJ_COMMAND" -classpath "$NXJ_CP_PC" lejos.pc.tools.NXJFlashG "$@"

I get a different error when I try to run nxjflashg. I know the solution last time had to do with reinstalling the software, but at this point I can't really do that because NXT-G doesn't run on 10.8. I might be able to install it on the 10.7 machine, but really what I am looking for is a solution that allows me to move forward. Now that LEGO has moved on to EV3 their support will be lacking, but I was hoping to keep using these NXT bricks for data collection for a few more years. Any ideas would he appreciated. Thanks!

Martin Aguilera
WalrusBrigade
New User

Return to NXJ Software