LeJOS 0.9.1 brick renaming issue

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

LeJOS 0.9.1 brick renaming issue

Postby Lauwenmark » Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Hello,

After having installed the 0.9.1-Beta2 on an NXT brick and tested that it worked well, I tried to rename it using nxjbrowse. Since then, whenever I try to start the brick, I get the LeJOS logo for a long time, after which I get the following error message:

Code: Select all
Exception: 16
 at:  65:8
 at:  90:1

I've tried reflashing the stock Lego NXT firmware - this one works without trouble. But reflashing the LeJOS one afterward leads me to the same error. Hardware reset with the reset pin didn't change anything either.

I'm not sure what to do at this stage to make NXJ work again on the brick - and I'm somewhat frightened by renaming a 3rd brick. Can someone help me with this?
Lauwenmark
New User

Re: LeJOS 0.9.1 brick renaming issue

Postby skoehler » Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Have you ever used leJOS successfully in the past?
I'm investigating the error right now. I let you know what I find. Perhaps I can fix the issue for 0.9.1-3 which will be released soon.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Lauwenmark » Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm

On this brick, yes indeed, I have been using LeJOS without trouble so far. The issue came up only when I tried to rename the brick, which I needed to be able to recognize it in a 3-NXT project. This is also the first brick I renamed under 0.9.1-2.
Lauwenmark
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed May 23, 2012 5:19 pm

What was the new name you chose for the brick?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Lauwenmark » Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

skoehler wrote:What was the new name you chose for the brick?

"Grumbly"
Lauwenmark
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,
I've been talking with Sven on this. All sounds very strange. Can you try flashing the standard Lego software and then changing the name of the brick to something simple like NXT3, then try the leJOS firmware...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Just a quick follow up I've just renamed one of my NXTs to be Grumbly and it seems to work fine. I can only think that there was some sort of problem with the rename operation. When you run the Lego firmware, what name shows up as the brick name?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Lauwenmark » Wed May 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Yes, the name shouldn't be a problem (unless that NXT brick suddenly got a grudge against such a stupid nickname... :) ). I've tried reflashing the brick with the standard firmware, giving it back the "NXT" name, but the result is the same - LeJOS firmware fails in the same way.

I've now performed a couple more tests with that brick - for some reason, under the stock firmware, I cannot turn Bluetooth on anymore - I get an rather short "Error!" when attempting to do it. I can safely say that Bluetooth was working only a couple hours before, as I used it several times for data transfers in the afternoon.

I can't check this until Tomorrow so take it with a pinch of salt, but I think the brick name went back to "NXT" whenever I reflashed the stock firmware.

I'm not too sure what to think at this point. But that the bluetooth is not responding anymore doesn't smell good for the brick's life for sure.
Lauwenmark
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi,
Hmm that does not sound good to me. It sounds like the Bluetooth module may have failed. If it has then contact Lego support and tell them that you are getting an error when trying to turn on Bluetooth. They are usually pretty good about this sort of thing and may well be able to help (probably by replacing the NXT)... The Bluetooth module is actually a separate circuit board that connects to the main board. I wonder if it has become disconnected? Has this NXT been dropped or anything recently?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi,
One thing you can try is to use the following menu program in place of the normal one when flashing leJOS
http://www.gloomy-place.com/lejos/StartupText.bin
The above program should print out some debug text as it attempts to talk to the Bluetooth module. Probably the easy way to use it is to locate the existing StartUpText.bin and rename that and then drop the above file into the same directory then reflash your NXT...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Lauwenmark » Thu May 24, 2012 5:43 am

gloomyandy wrote:Hi,
Hmm that does not sound good to me. It sounds like the Bluetooth module may have failed. If it has then contact Lego support and tell them that you are getting an error when trying to turn on Bluetooth. They are usually pretty good about this sort of thing and may well be able to help (probably by replacing the NXT)... The Bluetooth module is actually a separate circuit board that connects to the main board. I wonder if it has become disconnected? Has this NXT been dropped or anything recently?

As far as I can tell, the NXT hasn't endured any severe shock in the last few weeks. It is quite possible that the module was already a bit loose and that vibrations and manipulations finished to disconnect it. I'll have a look at that module when I'm back from work.

gloomyandy wrote:Hi,
One thing you can try is to use the following menu program in place of the normal one when flashing leJOS
http://www.gloomy-place.com/lejos/StartupText.bin
The above program should print out some debug text as it attempts to talk to the Bluetooth module. Probably the easy way to use it is to locate the existing StartUpText.bin and rename that and then drop the above file into the same directory then reflash your NXT...

I'll try, thanks for your help - but check the URL, as I'm getting a 404.

Thanks for the support anyway!
Lauwenmark
New User

Postby matthias » Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 am

i also had problems with bluetooth after renaming my nxt and it was very hard to connect it back to the PC.
(nxjcontrol only sees the "old" name, but when i search for the new name it find it and i can connect - my own programs did never connect)
So i renamed it back to NXT -.-
matthias
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu May 24, 2012 7:53 am

Hi,
try
http://www.gloomy-place.com/lejos/StartUpText.bin
Note the capital U this time!

Andy

matthias, one thing when renaming a brick is that you may have to delete the leJOS Bluetooth cache file as that will have the old name in it and I think it is keyed off of the address
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 am

Oh and if you are planning on opening up the NXT to check connections etc. take care especially if you are going to ask Lego for a replacement!
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Thu May 24, 2012 5:21 pm

matthias wrote:i also had problems with bluetooth after renaming my nxt and it was very hard to connect it back to the PC.
(nxjcontrol only sees the "old" name, but when i search for the new name it find it and i can connect - my own programs did never connect)
So i renamed it back to NXT -.-

That is an issue but is actually unrelated. The problem discussed here is much more severe.
To resolve your problem, delete the nxj.cache file after renaming the brick.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Next

Return to NXJ Software