JDWP Debugging

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

JDWP Debugging

Postby unroller » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:17 am

Hi,

I found the latest snapshot contains support for JDWP debugging.

Is this support ready to use? How I can use it?
unroller
Novice

Re: JDWP Debugging

Postby Xfel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 am

To use the jdwp debugger, just invoke the "debugproxy" target in the samples or org.lejos.example project. This will automatically build the program, upload and run it, and start the debug proxy. When you see the line "listening on <some adress>", you start the debugger frontend.
In eclipse, this is done by opening the "Debug Configurations" dialog found in the "Run" menu. Select the "Remote Java Application" type, create a new configuration, and write the address into the text field. Then you press debug, and everything else will work like debugging any other Java application.

This is just the guide for eclipse. I don't use any other debuggers, so if you do, please tell us how to connect to a remote java application in your environment.

I can't guarantee for 100% stability. Timing issues can occur while debugging, as the debugger runs on the same processor as the main program. Using an USB connection is currently not working, so make shure you have a bluetooth adapter.
Xfel
New User

Postby matejdro » Fri May 25, 2012 12:46 pm

What address do you have to enter? I have tried name of NXT and its address (i think its bluetooth mac or something), but it will always throw "Failed to connect to remote VM because of unknown host "
matejdro
Novice

Postby Xfel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 pm

The debugproxy program will tell you which address to use: "listening on <some address>" then you use <some address>.
Xfel
New User

Return to NXJ Software