A few difficulties

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

A few difficulties

Postby templar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:49 am

Hi Everyone,

I have just recently noticed that an alpha version of NXJ of lejos exists. I have been playing around with it for an hour or so. I tried running some of the samples and it seems to be downloading with no problems and then running on the NXT.

I have had a few difficulties however so maybe someone here can calrify some things:

1. When I link a program using lejoslink the command line window prints out a lot of garbage and my PC speaker makes lots of noise. Why is this?

2. When i ran one of the samples it works when the USB cable is plugged in but it only runs once. When i turn the NXT off and then turn it on again it just keep ticking but no program runs until i run lejosdl again.

3. Does the USB cable have to be plugged in at all times? Even once its downloaded? Mine doesnt seem to work if the USB isnt plugged in at all times. Kind of a limitation if the robot can only move around with a USB cable in the way.

4. The TestButton sample seems to detect the Enter and Left buttons but the Right button and ESCAPE buttons do not show up on the screen. Bug or some other issue?

Hopefully there will be some FAQ that will grow as time goes on.

Thanks!

Oliver
templar
New User

Re: A few difficulties

Postby bbagnall » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:51 pm

templar wrote:1. When I link a program using lejoslink the command line window prints out a lot of garbage and my PC speaker makes lots of noise. Why is this?

You have to use the -o option to output to a file, otherwise it outputs to the screen display. e.g.
>lejoslink -o Test.bin Test

(don't call it Test.class)
templar wrote:2. When i ran one of the samples it works when the USB cable is plugged in but it only runs once. When i turn the NXT off and then turn it on again it just keep ticking but no program runs until i run lejosdl again.

That's the way this works until we make a menu system for leJOS NXJ. You need to upload code everytime. To make the menu system we need to activate Bluetooth/USB so you can upload programs to the menu system, and we don't have the hardware figured out yet.
templar wrote:3. Does the USB cable have to be plugged in at all times? Even once its downloaded? Mine doesnt seem to work if the USB isnt plugged in at all times. Kind of a limitation if the robot can only move around with a USB cable in the way.

Once you see the leJOS icon on the NXT brick you can unplug the cable and it will work fine. It in no way needs the USB cable once your code is uploaded.
templar wrote:4. The TestButton sample seems to detect the Enter and Left buttons but the Right button and ESCAPE buttons do not show up on the screen. Bug or some other issue?

It worked for me when I tested it. Do you mean simultaneous presses? Only the orange button can be detected with other key presses. That's a NXT brick hardware limitation.
templar wrote:Hopefully there will be some FAQ that will grow as time goes on.

We're probably going to rely on the Mindstorms wiki so that anyone can add to it as they discover things (direct link from leJOS page):
http://www.nxt-mindstorms.com/wiki/Main_Page
bbagnall
Site Admin

Return to NXJ Software