EV3 wifi/bluetooth commands

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

EV3 wifi/bluetooth commands

Postby ericnon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:02 am

Hi, as a java developer, i'm looking forward to the upcoming release of leJOS for EV3. In the meantime, I thought I would try to connect to the EV3 via wifi dongle. I've successfully followed the instructions here http://www.monobrick.dk/guides/how-to-establish-a-wifi-connection-with-the-ev3-brick/ to connect to the EV3 in Java and *prepare* it to receive commands.

Has anyone gotten farther than this, actually successfully sending commands to EV3 over wifi (or bluetooth?) I found some NXT documents specifying the communication protocol for that brick, but it doesn't look like there are any communication specs out for EV3 yet. I've started to dig into the EV3 source, but C is not my strong point, not sure how far i'm going to get there.

Anyone had success on this front? If anyone is curious, you can see the very basic Java -> wifi connection code on github https://github.com/ericnondahl/ev3connect
ericnon
New User

Re: EV3 wifi/bluetooth commands

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:44 am

Just to make things clear. This will not work if you are using the leJOS SD card image. That has the standard Lego VM disabled. To be able to use remote commands you need the Lego VM running...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: EV3 wifi/bluetooth commands

Postby ericnon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Good to know, I have the standard firmware at the moment. Once I have lejos running I imagine i'll be able to communicate with normal Java methods, not have to use bytecode and such
ericnon
New User

Return to EV3 Software