leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

Postby superj » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:21 pm

I removed the WiFi dongle and it worked... I now have the oh-so-lovely LeJOS screen :D Sadly no USB cable that fits, will have to try that tomorrow as the shops are closed now... Thanks so much for your help and support Andy!
superj
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Didn't your EV3 come with a USB cable? You need to use the small USB connector next to the motor ports, not the one you had your WiFi dongle plugged into. You might also want to take a look at the following thread fro some ideas about WiFi setup:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4626

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby dendrobates » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 am

I had the same problem. So I just deleted the wpa_supplicant.conf and made a new one with the following content:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ctrl_interface_group=0
#eapol_version=1
#ap_scan=2 was the one for me you may try 0 or 1 indstead of 2
#ap_scan=2
#fast_reauth=1
network={
ssid="yourSSID"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
psk="pwinplaintext"
}
dendrobates
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 am

Please note that the wpa_supplicant that is include with the leJOS download is not intended to be used with your own network it is simply an example. You will pretty much always have to update it. This is clearly described in the getting started wiki:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Cr ... SD%20card/

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jwebber23 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:35 am

Hi,

This is really exciting. I am really looking forward to doing some programming on my EV3. I have followed the instructions and have produced a 8G Class 4 SDHC card but when it boots it doesn't use the SD card, just boots normally through to the standard Mindstorms screen. The SD card is shown there as available so it recognizes the card. I have tried both with and without my Netgear WiFi dongle.

Is there something i need to do to direct it to boot from the SD card?

Thanks
jwebber23
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Are you sure you following all of the instructions and in particular reformatted the card to have the correct partitions? If you did then sorry no idea I've got about 5 cards and they all work fine and I've not seen any reports of anyone else having this problem.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jwebber23 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks for your reply...

I went and purchased a new 4G SD card and tried again with the same result. I then tried diskpart and removed all partitions and tried again with the same result.

I end up with 2 partitions LMS20121 (which is empty) (Volume LMS2012) and LMS2012_EXT (Volume LMS2012_EXT) which has all the files in it (they all have the lock symbol on them - is this normal?) Under windows only the LMS20121 partition is visible.

I have updated the EV3 to the latest firmware from the Mindstorms software.

I did have some problems the other day as i didn't follow the instructions carefully but now have done it step by step with the scripts running correctly.
jwebber23
New User

Postby jwebber23 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:46 am

I have logged in as a super user so the card is now prepared without the lock symbol on the files and folders but still have no joy :-(
jwebber23
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 pm

What OS are you using to create the card? There should only be two partitions on the card LMS2012 and LMS2012_EXT. Are you use the script we provide to create the card? Do you get any errors during the card format. I have no idea what your files are showing as locked. The scripts use sudo to copy stuff to the card, there is no need to login as root or use su.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jwebber23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:55 am

I am using all the files from the links you provided. I went through the update script and have found out the problem, its the copying the uImage file. I manually copied the file across and that is working fine, just sorting out the networking file. Thanks for your prompt replies.
jwebber23
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 am

What OS have you been using to do this? What was the problem with copying uImage? If there is a problem we would like to understand it so that others don't have the same issues.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jwebber23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:01 pm

I am running windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 as a VM. When i looked at the script and copied and ran the line to copy the uImage file to LMS2012 i got an unknown path error. The script copied the files to LMS2012_EXT fine. In terminal i tried several variations (as it is also called LMS20121) but was unable to copy the file across. I used the file browser and copied it that way.
jwebber23
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:19 pm

That all sounds very strange. Did you format the card using the lejos format script? Did it run with out ant errors? Have you made any changes to it? The first partition should be LMS2012 not LMS20121.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jwebber23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes, used your scripts and they all run without errors. There must be an error that is suppresses as when i run the line of script to copy uImage over it comes up with an error (I will post the exact error tonight when i can run it again). The SD card reader i have has 2 slots (one for micro and one for large). I have tried it in both slots with the same result. The first partition shows up as LMS2012 but when you right click on properties (in the file explorer) it shows the name as LMS20121 and volume as LMS2012. The second partitions properties are LMS2012_EXT and Volume LMS2012_EXT.
jwebber23
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 pm

No need to post the error. I'm not surprised the copy fails as the mount point has the wrong name. The question is why on your system does it have the extra "1" at the end of it. No other system I'm aware of has this. Do you by any chance have any other references to LMS2012 in your /media/<username> directory? Perhaps as a result of some previous problem with creating the SD card (I think this could happen if you ever run update_sdcard.sh without the SD card in the reader)?

Without the SD card in the reader can you
ls -l /media/<username>
where <username> is replaced by your username (so in my case it would be /media/andy).

Thanks for your help

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software