Booting EV3 with SD card image

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Booting EV3 with SD card image

Postby Saber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi,

I can´t boot my EV3 with the created bootable sd Image.

I followed the tutorial on the Oracle site. I run Ubuntu 12.10 on a virtual Box.
After having formated and updated the micro sd card (8 GB), I got the partitions LMS2012 and LMS2012_EXT. Then I inserted it into the EV3 brick. But this didn´t boot the leJOS logo. I see only the message: mindstorms starting

This message still displayed all the time without any change.

I tested it already without and then with WiFi Connection but no success.

Have someone an idea that can help me ?

Cheers
Saber
New User

Re: Booting EV3 with SD card image

Postby Saber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I re-run the ./format_sdcard.sh with success and the update ./update_sdcard.sh /media/ubuntu ejre-7u45-fcs-b15-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-client_headless-26_sep_2013.tar.gz

but the EV3 didn´t boot from the sd card. It still displayed: MINdSTROrMS Starting

Any help please?

Cheers
Saber
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Please spend a little time looking at the other posts on the forum. They will answer some of your questions. The leJOS boot screen will only be displayed if the EV3 is able to connect to your WiFi router. So it is likely that your WiFi configuration is not correct (did you edit the configuration before creating the Sd card?). You should however still be able to connect to the EV3 over USB using the address 10.0.1.1...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby floydbloke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:20 pm

I have had my EV3 for a month or so and have just started using it in anger. It is also my first foray into the world of leJos.
I followed Andy's instructions on creating the SD Card and I'd have to say they're pretty damn good.

However, like many others I struggled to get a wifi connection. I spent many hours editing and tweaking WPA_SUPPLICANT.CONF without success.
In the end I deleted it and created a fresh one from scratch using nano via a console session, and up she came.

Somewhere in Andy's notes it mentions Windows uses CR/LF vs Unix just using CR (or vice versa), which could confuse WPA_SUPPLICANT. I guess it's very fussy about it's syntax and copying/pasting from web pages might bring across all sorts of invisible characters that WPA_SUPPLICANT can't cope with. Creating from scratch worked for me, it might work for others as well.
floydbloke
New User

Postby Saber » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I use the WiFi dongle NETGEAR WNA3100. Is this kind of dongle supported from the EV3 brick?

@Andy: I edited the WiFi configuration in the wpa_supplicant.conf with vi Editor before making the sd Image.
My question: how can I build a connection from my PC to the EV3 via a usb cable in order to run the example jrun EV3HelloWorld ? can you please advise me?

Cheers
Saber
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

What operating system are you using? Have you tried connecting your EV3 to your system via USB? What happens? basically the EV3 will look like a network card and associated network. So when you plug it in you should see a new network adaptor. You need to configure this network adaptor to obtain an IP address via DHCP (which the EV3 will then provide). Once your system has a DHCP address from the EV3 Should be something like 10.0.1.10) then you can simply connect to the ev3 using ssh or putty using the address 10.0.1.1.

The only officially supported WiFi dongle is the Netgear WNA1100. However if you are just using leJOS then other devices may work. I use an Edimax dongle:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811U ... ds=edirmax
which is good, though I have managed to break the case on both of the two I have!
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Saber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am

Hi,

I´ve a Windows 8 OS. But I didn´t get a Connection to my EV3 brick via a usb cable. Is there a Driver for the RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget ?

Cheers
Saber
New User

Postby Saber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm

As I mentioned in the message above, I´ve already created an sd card Image using ubuntu. I tried to boot my EV3 from that Image.

I understood from the tutorial that the Linux System is only requirde to create the sd card Image of the SE embedded JVM.

My target is to invoke to the ev3 brick. I used the OS Win 8. When I insert the sd card and turn on the brick to my PC via a usb cable, then a drive named "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" is required. I didn´t find this one by searching in the Internet.

Have someone any idea.

thx
Saber
New User

Postby Saber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi,

I can now get a Connection to my EV3 brick. I used the Java SE Embedded JVM version 7 Update 40 instead of the current version 7 Update 45 from the month September on the Oracle site.

So to get a bootable sd card use the JVM ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-sflt-headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz

Thx guys.

Cheers
Saber
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:57 pm

The JVM has no impact on the USB connection. I'm using the update 45 version with no problems at all...

USB just works with my Windows 7 system, and I've just tried it on my Windows 8.1 system and that just installed the drivers and connected the EV3 fine. A quick google founded plenty of threads about rndis drivers perhaps one of those will help...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby wiso » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

Hi,

I connected my EV3 brick to my system via a usb. The EV3 looks like a network card. I configured this network adaptor with de correct parametres but I can't connect the ev3 using putty. I use an Edimax dongle. This is the snapshot when I connect the Edimax dongle:

IQK:Start! ! !
Path A IQK Success! !
Path A IQK Success! !
IQK: fina_candidate is 0
IQK: RegE94=101 RegE9C=a RegEA4=ff RegEAC=0 RegEB4=0 RegEC=0 RegEC4=0 RegECC=0
Path A IQ Calibration Success !
MAC Address from REG = 80-1f -2 -ae-fc-2 e
pdmpriv->TxPowerTrackControl = 1
MAC Address = 80-1f -2 -ae-fc-2e
-871x_drv - drv_open, bup=1
survey done event (95)
survey done event (9a)
survey done event (86)
(2) 871x_drv - drv_close, bup=1, hw_init_completed=1
-871x_drv - drv_close, bup=1
survey done event (a7 )
+871x_drv - drv_open, bup=1
-871x_drv - drv_close, bup=1
scan done
survey done event (b2)
survey done event (85)

And when I try to connect with my network, this is the result:

login as:root
root@10.0.1.1's password:
root@EV3:~# ifdown wlan0
root@EV3:-# Ifup wlanO
udhcpc (v1.13.2) started
sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, forking to background
root@EV3:-#

Do you know what is the problem? thank you.
wiso
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Why are you using ifdown/ifup? The leJOS sdcard is not configured to use these scripts. If you are unable to connect via WiFi (it looks like you can connect via USB), then this probably means that the wpa_supplicant.conf file is not correct for your WiFi setup. Are you sure you have configured it correctly? Search the forums for lots of advice about the things that can be wrong with this file.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby ruperty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:58 pm

I am having similar problems with the wifi bootup; it hangs with the message "mindstorms starting". I can't find a resolution in the help pages I've looked at. Here is my wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Code: Select all
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
# Pers
network={
   ssid="Belkin666"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   psk=darwinsbulldog
   pairwise=CCMP TKIP
   group=CCMP TKIP
   proto=RSN
}

I have tried it without the scan_ssid line. I presume if the shared key is generated by wpa_passphrase then that key needs to be set in the PSK config of the router? I have avoided that as it would mean having to type that key in from my other wifi devices.

I am able to connect with usb and ssh and run the sample file, and see the /etc/wpa_suplicant.conf file. The linefeeds are LF (\n seen through "od -c wpa_suplicant.conf").

Anyone have suggestions to what I am doing wrong?
Regards,
Rupert
www.perceptualrobots.com
ruperty
Active User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:02 pm

No if you generate the pass phrase using wpa_passphrase it basically just creates an encoded version of the clear text. You don't need to change your router settings. If you search the forum you will find that another user discovered that if you want to use a clear text pass phrase then you may need to enclose it in double quotes. So you may want to try that.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to EV3 Software