leJos EV3 & Eclipse on Windows

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

leJos EV3 & Eclipse on Windows

Postby floydbloke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Is it possible to configure Eclipse on Windows to develop leJos/EV3?

I prefer this over having to run up a virtual Linux Box, so I'm keen to give it a go but if it's a definite no-go I won't bother trying.
floydbloke
New User

Re: leJos EV3 & Eclipse on Windows

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm

I think that you may be able to make this work, but I've not tried it. I think that one of the other devs may have got it going this way. You will however still need Linux to create/modify the SD card. The main problem will be getting your programs on to the EV3 to run them. You may be able to use scp from Windows to do this but again I've not tried that. Once you have the program on the EV3 then you should be able to use putty to open up a terminal and run your program.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jerryP » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:21 am

I use Eclipse on Windows to scp programs to my EV3 - it works fine. I also use cygwin often to send them via scp and I can compile them with the command line also.

Jerry
jerryP
New User

Postby floydbloke » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks all

Sounds encouraging. Something to play around with this coming weekend.
floydbloke
New User

Postby epascual » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I've written an article on our Web site in which I explain how to setup an Ant script bundling all the actions, from compiling your application to starting the execution on the EV3, including uploading the jar. I find it easier to use than clicking here and there for creating the jar, then copying it on the remote system (aka the EV3),... I'm not a big fan of endless clicking sessions :) It works under Eclipse of course, but also directly from the command line.

Since it does not rely on any platform specific command (not even scp thanks to jSch lib and Ant extension), it should work fine on Windows, even without Cygwin installed. However I can't certify it 100% since I'm working with Linux boxes only.

Unfortunately (for you) the article is written in French, until I find some free time to put an English version online. Anyway, an Ant script is an Ant script, whichever language you speak :) And Google translate may help a bit, although I've hard to understand the text it produces when asked to translate it in English :)

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need some explanations. Just click on my first name (Eric) on the article header and use the mail editor at the end of the bio and articles list page which is displayed then. You can also post a message in this board if you prefer, but I don't come here everyday.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Eric PASCUAL - POBOT association VP & co-founder - http://www.pobot.org
epascual
Active User

Postby floydbloke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks Eric

Learning French and learning ANT script has been added to my to do list :D
floydbloke
New User

Postby lawrie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 pm

I am using Eclipse on Windows for EV3 development, with ant build files (using scp and jsch).

I have also just tested SD card creation on Windows. It will be in the next release, but Eclipse and ant build files work fine with 0.4.0 release.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby EowynCarter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Tanks for the scripts.

I didn't though to use ant, or even maven, for that. But there is some idea. And would do with intelliJ.
EowynCarter
New User

Postby epascual » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

I didn't though to use ant, or even maven, for that. But there is some idea. And would do with intelliJ.

It's a matter of taste in fact. Some people prefer using only GUI based processes, others don't. I'm in the second group ;)

Several Ant scripts are included in the demo projects bundles with leJOS. I found them after having written mine ;)
epascual
Active User

Postby becti111 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi,

I want to use Eclipse and W7-64 bit to develop JAVA-Applications for the EV3. My SD-Card is ok, the EV3 boots and I can start the HelloJava - Class with putty or over WinSCP. But I can't develop Apps. The Error-Messages is like: "no ClassDefFoundError ...."
Is there anybody here who can translate the description from epascual in English? Google-translate couldn't help me.
Thanks a lot!

becti111
becti111
New User

Postby epascual » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello,
becti111 wrote:Is there anybody here who can translate the description from epascual in English? Google-translate couldn't help me.

Here it is : http://www.pobot.org/A-first-Java-progr ... e-EV3.html

I hope being a better translator that Google :)

Beware that I've described how things can be on Linux, and I can't promise that it will run exactly the same on Windows or Mac OSX since I use neither of these. But it should work for you too, since the procedure does not use any system specific tool or command, tanks to an Ant plugin to be added.
The Error-Messages is like: "no ClassDefFoundError ...."

Could you provide us the full message, since it's pretty impossible to diagnose your problem if we don't know which is the offending class. Maybe this error is related to the wrong Git version being used on your dev machine, and thus mismatches between your compiled program and the version of the ev3classes included in the EV3 file system distribution image.

Regards

Eric
Last edited by epascual on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
epascual
Active User

Postby becti111 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:24 am

Hi,

thanks a lot for translating your article. Here the errormessage:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: lejos/hardware/LCD
caused by:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: lejos.Hardware.LCD
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)

Greetings,

becti111
becti111
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:39 am

Looks like you are compiling using the git master code and then trying to run that code using the ev3classes.jar supplied with the alpha SD card image. This will not work. Please se the following threads:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4782
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4671

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby epascual » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:55 am

becti111 wrote:Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: lejos/hardware/LCD
caused by:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: lejos.Hardware.LCD
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
As suggested in my reply, you are mixing both versions (0.4.0 as distributed in the file system image and MASTER as extracted from Git) of the ev3classes. You can fix your project using the method documented in my article (and in several other places too).

The package lejos.hardware has been introduced after the version 0.4.0 if I'm not mistaken (Andy, please correct me if I'm wrong).
epascual
Active User

Postby floydbloke » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:40 am

lawrie wrote:I am using Eclipse on Windows for EV3 development, with ant build files (using scp and jsch).

I have also just tested SD card creation on Windows. It will be in the next release, but Eclipse and ant build files work fine with 0.4.0 release.

Lawrie

I am too now.
Andy's instructions can be pretty much followed word-for-word for Eclipse on Windows, and Eric's ANT script works as well. (Bit of learning curve as I had never used ANT at all before)
Thank you all, I'm very pleased.
floydbloke
New User

Next

Return to EV3 Software