git master and alpha-0.4.0

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi,
you might want to spend a little time browsing some of the threads here as many of your questions have been answered elsewhere...
a) yes booting off the leJOS sd card will leave the original Lego firmware in tact.
b) USB and Bluetooth can both be used as alternatives to WiFi. Bluetooth needs you to pair with the EV3 and connect to the PAN Access Point it provides. USB makes the EV3 look like a network card, with the EV3 providing an IP address via dhcp.
c) Some/all of the HiTechnics/Mindsensors devices may work, but most have not been tested. Make sure you pull the tagged git branch (0.4.0-alpha), do not attempt to use master unless you really understand what you are doing.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

Postby EowynCarter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Tanks,

USB works. Bluetooth, for some reason, don't. Not sure. I'll have a look at that. (Ok, i finally did it !)
And eclipse on ubuntu is making a pain of my life again, but that's an other story.

I'll see if I can get something out of the HT compass sensor then.
EowynCarter
New User

Re: git master and alpha-0.4.0

Postby LoneRider » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 am

Hi all,

I just registered a few minutes ago (the security question about the number of pieces in the NXT box is something you have to google if you have the EV3-Box ;) ) and wanted to share my experience with you.

I am working at the university of kassel, germany, and we got 15 EV3 starter sets and 15 expansion sets. I work at the department for factory planning and logistics, and we are trying to set up a small lego factory with logistics stuff like Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (i am currently working on these), some machines and a high-level storage installation with a stacker crane. All these things are to be controlled by LEGO mindstorms, with a central controlling PC who manages the factory - like in a real factory.

When googling i found the lejos homepage and the tutorials on how to get lejos to work on the bricks. So i followed that tutorials and got the MASTER branch from egit. I created a seperate workspace for it and started to use eclipse for windows for developing. This works great if you use the existing ant build files. They require SCP to work and being in the same network with the mindstorms (we created a factory W-LAN here). After that I was able to build some examples from the egit master branch (downloaded all the projects) and recieved a lot of class not found errors. I solved these by looking into the build.xml files. The buid.xml files say where the project wants the ev3classes.jar and jna.jar. So i created the folders (1) /home/root/lejos/lib and (2) /home/root/lejos/libjna/usr/share/java and placed the ev3classes.jar and dbusjava.jar in (1), renamed the jna-3.2.7.jar (the most current version, i think the numbers are right) to jna.jar and copied it to (2), and now the sample projects all work fine. So to set up my own project I created a new java project, copied the build.xml from the ev3helloworld sample, changed things like names etc. - and it works!

Result:
I can use windows and eclipse to develop my EV3 programs, they are automatically!! transfered to the mindstorms brick, and all I have to do to start them is open a putty ssh console and start it via jrun -cp jarfile.jar classname.

So far i didnt need to change any settings in egit, i checked out the master branch, but i had to use a virtual debian machine to create the SD cards (used VMware player).

I read a lot about switching the egit branch - but since everything is working fine now, I dont really know if i should continue like this or try to read about the 0.4.0 branch and how to use it.

If you want i could write a little tutorial about what I did to get to where I am now - if it helps. If this is not the desired way, it might be misleading.

Regards

Markus
LoneRider
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, glad you have it all working. Let me try and explain some of the issues that you may have to deal with when using git master...

The problem with using the master branch is that just because it works today for you does not mean that tomorrow if someone else pulls the latest master that it will work for them. Master is changing a lot at the moment and every day sees new code in there. The problem with copying the various files over to the SD card is that there are programs that are part of the SD card the already make use of the existing versions of ev3classes.jar etc. by replacing them you may get lucky and the programs still work, or you may not... Basically you are running a hybrid system which may well work for you, but it will be hard for anyone else to create the same hybrid (since master is changing all of the time). So if you want to live on the cutting edge and can deal with any issues that come up (because it is unlikely that the leJOS devs will be able/want to create the same setup you have), then fine. However if you want a more stable setup, that others can create and use the same setup then use one of the tagged configurations.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby cfin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 am

Hello,
I have now managed to run my first program on the EV3. Thanks for all your help.
Here are the steps I took, to checkout the 0.4.0 tag from git and run the EV3FirstProgram:
1)In a terminal I installed git:
sudo apt-get install git
2)switched to the git repository: For me it is /home/ubuntu/git/ev3
3)checkout the 0.4.0 tag:
git tag -l
git checkout tags/0.4.0-alpha

4)Back in eclipse refresh the view File->Refresh (F5)

5)I had the error shown, that the library nja-3.2.7 is missing.
6)I downloaded it from http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/net/java/ ... -3.2.7.jar
7)In the project properties of ev3classes in tab java build path -> libraries, I removed the non existing path to the jar jna-3.2.7 and added the downloaded jar.

8)Rebuild the project and reexport the jar
9)copy the jar to the ev3 and run it.
cfin
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,
Glad you have things working. A couple of comments...
1. the need to install the JNA jar is documented in the Wiki:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/De ... h%20leJOS/
2. You should not need to copy the jna jar to the ev3 it is already on the SD card and in the classpath when you run programs using jrun.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Previous

Return to EV3 Software