clubbing ev3 with some other microcontroller

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

clubbing ev3 with some other microcontroller

Postby SnehaPuthani » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I am working on a project for which we are building the model using lego mindstorms ev3. My question is that since ev3 can control only 4 motors and my project needs around 20 motors and 20 IR sensors, so can I integrate another simple microcontroller with the ev3 or should I use multiple ev3 controllers itself?
SnehaPuthani
New User

Re: clubbing ev3 with some other microcontroller

Postby Aswin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 pm

You can use one EV3 to control numerous other EV3's. This has the advantage of having just one platform. Another kind of platform is also possible, but then you'll have to writes lot of stuff yourself (communication, motor and sensor control).

I do think using 20 US sensors is a problem. The sensors will interfere, unless you fire them one by one. But then it will take at least a second, but probably more, to loop through them all.

Aswin
My NXT blog: http://nxttime.wordpress.com/
Aswin
leJOS Team Member

Postby SnehaPuthani » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:30 pm

1)I want to use just one ev3 and for the rest of the motors and sensors use another simple microcontroller. Is this possible?

2)And instead of using a wifi dongle can I use a netgear wireless router?

3) Also when I am trying to format the sd card on linux (Ubuntu 12.04) i.e
./format_sdcard.sh
I get the following error
bash: ./format_sdcard.sh no such file or directory
SnehaPuthani
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:08 pm

!. It's possible but you will have to do all of the work to make the EV3 talk to the other microcontroller and make the microcontroller handle all of the motor control (and 20 motors sounds a heck of a lot).

2. No you will need a dongle for the EV3.

3. Are you sure you have actually extrated the files from the archive and are in the correct directory? That error indicates that the format_sdcard.sh file is not in your current working directory.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to EV3 Software