Compatible Hardware

This is where you talk about the EV3 hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: Compatible Hardware

Postby rafiot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 pm

gloomyandy wrote:I'd be particularly interested in getting some sort of micro USB video camera working if anyone fancies giving that a go.

I was able to compile the uvc and video4linux drivers and my logitech c310 webcam was recognized. Then I tried streaming the webcam over the usb link using ffmpeg/ffserver. It works but is quite heavy on CPU usage.
The lightest tool I found is uvc_stream from the MJPEG Streamer project. It streams the mjpeg stream directly off the webcam without processing, with a cpu usage around 7-10%.
rafiot
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi,
that's pretty interesting. Did you have any problems building the various drivers etc? Which versions did you use?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby rafiot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 pm

No problem at all. I just enabled the drivers in LEGOBoard.config.
Cross compilation of uvc_stream is equally easy as it has no dependencies. I've used their latest code.
Other things I ran succesfully on the EV3:
ffmpeg/ffserver
v4l-ctl (from the v4l-utils package)
mjpg_streamer
libjpeg-turbo 1.3.0
rafiot
New User

Postby GeekDude » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 pm

gloomyandy wrote:I know that the Edimax EW-7811UN micro WiFi dongle works fine I have two of these (you need the lejos SD card for this as I had to add extra drivers).

Any way to get them working with stock firmware? Or at least, get them to work from/with the official EV3 programming software.
GeekDude
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:37 am

You probably can but you will need to rebuild the Lego VM as it hard codes the USB IDs of the only supported dongle.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby GeekDude » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:39 am

I don't suppose that would be as easy as downloading the source, hitting control h to find the ID and replace it with the new one, then gccing it for ARM?
GeekDude
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:06 am

Not far off (though finding and compiling may be more work then you think!). Then you will need to find a suitable sdcard image to put the code on. The leJOS 0.4.0-alpha image is not far off (it has the required modules and drivers), but we use modified startup scripts and do not start the Lego code. also we use modified versions of the Lego kernel modules (though in 0.4.0-alpha I think they still work with the Lego code, this will not be the case for future leJOS sdcards)...

Good luck

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Previous

Return to EV3 Hardware