0.5.0-alpha

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: 0.5.0-alpha

Postby MarcoE » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey folks,

first of all: Congratulations on the new alpha release. The menu looks very nice, I like it!

As nate, I wasn't able to configure WiFi using the leJOS menu, either. When I navigated to the WiFi Menu and pressed enter it showed "No Access Points f" after some seconds on the display. But I got it working by editing the wpa_supplicant.conf by hand (as with 0.4.0-alpha), too.
I am using a Netgear WNA1100 and I created the MicroSD-Card on Ubuntu.
MarcoE
New User

Postby f1rede » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:50 pm

i made it work till the step where it ttys to copy via scp. Anyone knows which additional jar i will need ?

BUILD FAILED
/Users/alex/Documents/workspace/ev3/EV3HelloWorld/build.xml:40: Problem: failed to create task or type scp
Cause: Could not load a dependent class com/jcraft/jsch/Logger
It is not enough to have Ant's optional JARs
you need the JAR files that the optional tasks depend upon.
Ant's optional task dependencies are listed in the manual.
Action: Determine what extra JAR files are needed, and place them in one of:
-/Applications/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.8.4.v201303080030/lib
-/Users/alex/.ant/lib
-a directory added on the command line with the -lib argument

Do not panic, this is a common problem.
The commonest cause is a missing JAR.

This is not a bug; it is a configuration problem
f1rede
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:16 pm

For you folks having issues with the WiFi configuration are your access points setup to provide an SSID that is browsable? So people have this turned off to makes things more secure. Also could you please post details of your wps_supplicant.conf files so that we can see what settings you had to use.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Nate, I think you need to build the DBusJava project before you build ev3classes.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby MarcoE » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey,

my working wpa_supplicant.conf, which I had to edit by hand (because the Display Menu didn't find any SSID) looks like:

Code: Select all
#eapol_version=1
#ap_scan=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

#fast_reauth=1

# Pers
network={
   ssid="nameofmyssid"
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   psk=thegeneratedkey
   pairwise=CCMP TKIP
   group=CCMP TKIP
   proto=RSN
}

I didn't change anything here but the ssid name and the psk.

My SSID isn't hidden (in ubuntu and Windows it is listed). We have also some other WiFis here which belong to our neighbours, and those aren't hidden, either. But the Display Menu didn't find ANY WiFi.

New problem:
I created the HelloWorld from the new guide (I created it using IntelliJ on Windows, without the ant script). I was able to build the runnable jar without any errors. I then copied it via putty (pscp) onto the ev3 (/home/lejos/programs), which succeeded to. Then I chose the program on the brick, using the display menu and chose "execute program". But there was no "First EV3 Program" displayed. There was simply nothing on the display for some seconds, and then the menu was shown again.
When I tried to run the program the old-fashioned way (via ssh / jrun) the program worked ("First EV3 Program" was shown on the display). But the display showed both, the Menu and the "First EV3 Program"-String.
MarcoE
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi firede,

You need jsch-0.1.50.jar from http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/. It seems to be included in some versions of Eclipse.

You can install it in Eclipse by selecting Windows > Preference > Ant > Run Time > Ant Home Entries and adding the external jar.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi MarcoE,

I suspect that the jar file you have created is not a runnable jar file that includes a mainfest with the main class and the class path defined. That is what the menu expects and is what the ant build files produce.

If you run a program from the command line, the menu does not know about it, and so both it and your program write to the LCD screen. It might be possible to get jrun to suspend and restart the menu. You can suspend the menu from an option on its System menu and restart it by Enter+Down.

To see what is happening when you run you run your program from the menu, you can connect a remote console to the menu. If you run EV3Control from the ev3tools project, and press Search it shows a list of available EV3s. Select your EV3 and press Connect and go to the Console tab. It should show diagnostic output from the menu and programs running from the menu and also show you the LCD screen. EV2ConsoleViewer is an alternative. With that you need to type your IP address in the name box and press Connect.

It would be good if you could post the error messages that you get when you try to run your jar file.

I haven't seen the error you are getting from the Wifi scan before. It is possible that it is taking too long to get your list of access points.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:37 pm

It seems that both the dbusjava and ev3classes projects must be built using their ant build files before the ant build files in EV3FirstProgram and other projects will work. I should have tested the release in a clean system, but I did not take the time to do this as I wanted to get the release out before Xmas. We need to improve this for the next release.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby MarcoE » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:08 pm

hey lawrie,

thanks for your answer. Your were totally right. The Class-Path was missing in the MANIFEST. I added both entries (from the ant script) and now the program runs perfectly when running it from the menu. And thanks for the hint on how to get suspend the menu. I will try this tomorrow :)

On the WiFi topic: That might be. However I tried it from different locations (directly next to the router, too), but without success.
MarcoE
New User

Postby petrs143 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:21 pm

I can't build DBusJava.

output:

Buildfile: C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml
clean:
   [delete] Deleting directory C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build
compile:
    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build
    [javac] C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml:22: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
    [javac] Compiling 111 source files to C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build
    [javac] C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\src\org\freedesktop\dbus\test\cross_test_client.java:353: error: unmappable character for encoding Cp1250
    [javac]       test(DBus.Binding.Tests.class, tests, "IdentityString", "ă?˛ă‚‰ă?Śă?Şă‚˛ă?Ľă?  - ă?‹ă?Şă?¶ă‚“", "ă?˛ă‚‰ă?Śă?Şă‚˛ă?Ľă?  - ă?‹ă?Şă?¶ă‚“");
    [javac]                                                                 ^
    [javac] C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\src\org\freedesktop\dbus\test\cross_test_client.java:353: error: unmappable character for encoding Cp1250
    [javac]       test(DBus.Binding.Tests.class, tests, "IdentityString", "ă?˛ă‚‰ă?Śă?Şă‚˛ă?Ľă?  - ă?‹ă?Şă?¶ă‚“", "ă?˛ă‚‰ă?Śă?Şă‚˛ă?Ľă?  - ă?‹ă?Şă?¶ă‚“");
    [javac]                                                                       ^
    [javac]                                                                          ^
    [javac]                                                                                ^
    [javac]                                                                                   ^
    [javac]                                                                                         ^
    [javac]                                                                                            ^
    [javac]                                                                                               ^
    [javac]                                                                                                         ^
    [javac]                                                                                                               ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                  ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                        ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                           ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                                 ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                                    ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                                       ^
    [javac] 16 errors

BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml:22: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 1 second

I want lejos so much. Please help me.
petrs143
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi petrs143,

I only get warnings for those lines. Very little of DBusJava is actually used, and certainly not the tests.

Could you try deleting cross_test_client.java and cross_test_server.java and trying the build again.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby imk82 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:12 am

petrs143 wrote:I can't build DBusJava.

output:

Buildfile: C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml
clean:
   [delete] Deleting directory C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build
compile:
    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build
    [javac] C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml:22: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
    [javac] Compiling 111 source files to C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build
    [javac]                                                                 ^
    [javac]                                                                       ^
    [javac]                                                                          ^
    [javac]                                                                                ^
    [javac]                                                                                   ^
    [javac]                                                                                         ^
    [javac]                                                                                            ^
    [javac]                                                                                               ^
    [javac]                                                                                                         ^
    [javac]                                                                                                               ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                  ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                        ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                           ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                                 ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                                    ^
    [javac]                                                                                                                                       ^
    [javac] 16 errors

BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\Qwertz\git\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml:22: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 1 second

I want lejos so much. Please help me.

Hi petrs143,

it seems to be a encoding problem. Eclipse in a Windows environment uses "Cp1250" as the default. Please try to change it to "UTF-8". You can do this with the following steps:

• Open Eclipse
  • Go to "Window" -> "Preferences" -> "General" -> "Workspace"
  • Change the entry under "Text file encoding" -> "Other" from "Cp1250" to "UTF-8"
  • Press "Apply" and close with "Ok"
  • Try to build the DBus Project with help of its ant file again

For me this solved the problem.

Best regards
Imk82
imk82
New User

Postby imk82 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:16 am

Hi all,

I want to connect to my EV3 over a console (e.g. ssh over putty) / want to use scp. The Problem: I have no Wifi.

Is there any way to do this over Bluetooth or USB?

Best regards
Imk82

EDIT:
Fixed the problem for myself. Just connected the EV3 over USB to the PC and established a connection with putty to the IP shown on the display (10.0.1.1). I'am not sure why it works, because my computer is in a different network, but it works. ;-)
imk82
New User

Postby daspfanni2000 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Just wanted to post feedback about wifi: here it works, BUT only if the wifi module (the small one from edimax) is already connected to the ev3 while booting.
If I put it in later, lejos will find no hotspots/wifi routers. Maybe this could be addressed later: hot plugging in of usb devices (wifi)

I like the possible characters that can be used for WPA2 passphrase. The original lego firmware is flawed in this regard (as far as I can tell from reading the manual). With lejos I can easily enter the needed, complex passphrase.

I'am not sure why it works, because my computer is in a different network, but it works.

Your PC can have many IP addresses (normally IPv4: 1 per interface. When using IPv6 many IPs per interface. The USB connection is just presented to the OS as another networking interface (talking to itself). So thats why your PC does have this IP in reach - it just sits on its EV3-networking interface, right?
daspfanni2000
New User

Postby daspfanni2000 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi,

I am tyring to reproduce the steps described here http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Developing%20with%20leJOS/ for using eclipse to check out the git project.

The steps described on the wiki do not match the options I find in eclipse (newest release on mac os x). They are close, but different.

It starts to be different here:

3. Choose "URI" and click next.
4. To obtain a read only copy of the repository enter the following URI:
git://git.code.sf.net/p/lejos/ev3
click next.
5. Ensure that the branch is set to the tag name for the version of leJos you are using, e.g. 0.5.0-alpha, and click next.

3. "URI" is not available - but "Clone URI" is. I guess this is basically the same thing:-)
4. is ok
5. here I struggle badly: I am presented with a selection of three branches found at the uri "master", "newport", "sensor framework". I deselect all but not the "master" branch - is this correct way as an enduser? Then I hit "next". Then I am supposed to chose a target directory and the initial branch (only master available), and the remote name "origin". There is also a checkbox deselected saying "clone submodules" is this supposed to be activated? My problem is: Where can I select the 0.5.0-alpha tag. I can not find it - it always leads to checking out head.

Any advise on how to get the 0.5.0-alpha tag commit instead of HEAD is greatly appreciated!

Best regards
daspfanni2000
New User

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software