Boot to stock firmware?

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Boot to stock firmware?

Postby daveo2014 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:07 am

Hi all,

I'm new here and have never used leJOS or Mindstorms before today. I got everything set up this evening and can confirm everything works fine on a Mac pretty much following the wiki instructions verbatim. I had a brief go at the ant build - didn't work, haven't really investigated yet, probably a library/path issue - but building runnable jars in eclipse and scp-ing them over the USB connection is working great.

The kit is primarily (ostensibly!) for my daughter and she's going to use the stock EV3 software from Lego. I played with it a bit and it seems good for what it is, if a bit slow, but I'm sure it'd drive me mad after a short while, hence searching out leJOS! The EV3 brick isn't always going to be easily accessible inside a robot so yanking the SD card could be a pain - is there a way to boot back into stock without removing the SD card? Sorry if this is an FAQ - I did have a look but not sure I was using the right search terms. If there's no magic button combination, I suppose I'll investigate some kind of sellotape-based remote extraction system.

Thanks for the hard work that's obviously gone into leJOS - it seems amazingly full featured already!

Cheers,

Dave
daveo2014
New User

Re: Boot to stock firmware?

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:43 am

Good question and one that I'm afraid I don't have and answer for. I'm not sure if there is anyway to boot from flash if an SD card is installed. When I get chance I'll have a dig around the boot code to see if there are any changes to control which device is used.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby daveo2014 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks Gloomyandy, I'll watch this space. I did try the Sellotape idea and it works - the SD card doesn't have to be very far out and even in the 'track3r' bot where the large motor is mounted flush to the side of the brick I'm able to pull it out with the tape and push it in with a hair grip.
daveo2014
New User

Postby daspfanni2000 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I would like to put this out as a feature request too: maybe even with a small boot menu on the sd card.

My kids want to use the lego stock firmware - I have different need and and want to boot to lejos.

This would be awesome:-)
daspfanni2000
New User

Postby daveo2014 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I guess it'll be eating batteries fast enough (even more so after my new Wifi dongle arrives) that I'll want frequent access to the brick anyway. I modified my simple Track3r-based platform today to raise the brick out of the chassis and expose the ports. Also added a cool gripper hand!
daveo2014
New User

Postby skoehler » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 pm

We use the bootloader installed by Lego in the EV3's ROM. We're not sure they they implemented anything to avoid booting from SD.
Have you tried the obvious like keeping some key pressed while powering on the EV3? At least to my experience this is a common way of controlling some dual boot mechanism. For example my Sansa Clip Zip boots into the stock firmware instead of RockBox if you hold down some key while powering on the player. Let us know of any success.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby huha » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I did multiple tries and pressed the back button, center button, top and left button when starting, but no success on dual boot.
This would be a feature I would like to have for the same reason (as David mentioned), too.
I understand you have right now other priorities, but for the longer term this would be great.
huha
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 pm

huha wrote:I did multiple tries and pressed the back button, center button, top and left button when starting, but no success on dual boot.
This would be a feature I would like to have for the same reason (as David mentioned), too.
I understand you have right now other priorities, but for the longer term this would be great.

It's not only a matter of priorities. I know just a tiny bit about Wifi Routers which use embedded Linux and I assume the internal memory layout of the EV3 is the same. At least in case of the routers, the bootloader is usually kept in a different area of the internal memory, separate from the actual firmware. But it's very risky to update the bootloader because if that update fails the device is completely useless. As long as the bootloader is intact, the bootloader usually offers possibilities to recover from a failed firmware update via a serial cable. So even if we had a modified bootloader right now, we would not recommand everybody to update their EV3s.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby ksattic » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 pm

The stock bootloader is uboot and it's possible to get to a uboot prompt by typing lower-case L at a serial console when the device is powered on. From there you can probably tell it which device to boot from. Not sure if this is a workable solution for you.
ksattic
New User

Return to EV3 Software