0.5.0-alpha

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: 0.5.0-alpha

Postby EowynCarter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:57 am

I want to create the sd with linux.

Just to be sure proper comand is :
sudo dd if=sd.img of=/dev/sdb/ ?

Sdb being the sd card.
Shall it be executed as root ?
EowynCarter
New User

Postby f1rede » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:39 pm

I recently received my edimax wifi stick. Everything about scanning the networks is fine, i get the whole list, but i cannot connect. After selecting my SSID and entering the password, it says in the end "sending discover", then returns to the menu after some time without any success I Also tried to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf without any success. Does anyone know something about this issue ? thanks

EDIT: The problem disappeared after restarting eve several times, suddenly it was connected
f1rede
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 pm

aprendiendo wrote:
skoehler wrote:I wouldn't specify proto, pairwise, or group. For a WPA or WPA2 network, just specify ssid, key_mgmt, and psk. At least that's what wpa_supplicant is configured like on a normal Linux PC. I hope this also works for the EV3 (don't have one to test). Specifying any more properties (like proto, pairwise or group) may be a potential source of trouble as it overrides the supplicant's defaults. For example the default for proto is to allow both WPA and RSN (where WPA stands for WPA1 and RSN stands for WPA2).

I just changed my wpa_supplicant file and now it works! (I've updated my previous post)

Can you try a config like this?
Code: Select all
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
  ssid="WIFI"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  psk="pwinplaintext"
}

This would be very helpful as we might use that as a template for all WPA/WPA2 wifi connections from now on.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby mone.java » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi, i'm new in this forum and in general in Lego programming, my girlfriend gives me the new Lego Mindstorm EV3 :D ... I'm using linux so i can't use the official Lego Program and since i am a java programmer i want to use Java! So i downloaded the Lejos source from git and wen i try to build project with lejos-ev3/kernel/build_kernel.sh and all was OK! then i run the lejos-ev3/sdcard/setup.sh and the script search for EV3PowerOff/bin dir... and some other dirs that are not builded (i'm not yet imported the project on Eclipse so never is builded)... So i have written ANT script for EV3PowerOff... if you want i can write all necessary ANT script and a bash/ant script that call all the necessary ANT scripts beforse building the kernel.. :) and if you want i can sends the scripts to you..

Sorry for my english.
Simone Rondelli.
mone.java
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:17 pm

There is no need for you to build the kernel or other parts that go to make up the SD card to use leJOS. Have you read the Wiki that tells you how to create the sd card? If not then it is probably a good place to start. Note also that the build files for the kernel in the main leJOS git repo are no longer used (and will be removed shortly), there is a separate git repo that contains the sd card build stuff. The Wiki is here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Home/

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mone.java » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Ok, Thank you... I'm downloading the SD Card repo... However i knew that is not need to compile the kernel but i prefer because i want understand deeply how lejos work... and i would like to help the development in some way... I haven't a lot of time but i can do small work like ANT script where they lack.. Or junit testing...
Obviously if you need to, otherwise I just use lejos!
mone.java
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi,
before diving into the depths it is probably best to get the basics up and running, and to actually use leJOS for a while, that way you will understand what areas need help and what don't...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mone.java » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Ok i will do! Thank you!
mone.java
New User

Postby lawrie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am

mcrosbie wrote:How did you get EV3Control to compile in Eclipse? I've got my EV3 running 0.5.0 and connected over Bluetooth and Wifi. I can create, compile and download programs from Eclipse (Kepler) on Mac OS to the EV3. But whenever I try to Run As->Java Application any of the ev3tools tools I get:

Code: Select all
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: lejos/ev3/tools/EV3Control
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: lejos.ev3.tools.EV3Control
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
   at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

This is suggesting that Eclipse cannot find the EV3Control class on my class path, but I'm not sure how to correct this.

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

That is a strange error, as ev3tools is a very standard Eclipse project. I would check that the classes exists in the ev3tools/bin directory. I would check if you have "Build Automatically" set false for the project by clicking on the Project menu, and I would try a "clean" action on the project.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby mcrosbie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Lawrie,

I figured it out - the default Java on Mac OS is 1.6 but the ev3classes and tools referenced Java 1.7. All I had to do was download and install Java 1.7 JDK for Mac OS and then tell Eclipse to use the 1.7 JRE and all of the warnings and errors disappeared! I have a lovely clean working environment now and can download files using both Wifi and Bluetooth PAN onto the EV3.

I'm writing up a short blog post on my experiences thus far with Mac OS, Eclipse and 0.5.0 alpha. I'll post when it's live.

Mark
mcrosbie
Novice

Postby mcrosbie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:32 pm

A little write-up I did with my project notes from setting up Eclipse on Mac OS for the 0.5.0 alpha with the EV3. So far so good!

http://thinkbricks.net/?p=826

Mark
mcrosbie
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Mark,
thanks for the write up and for clearly stating that the tutorial is for 0.5.0-alpha, could you also provide a comment that if you are not using that version then please check the Wiki and lejos forum for more information. We have a lot of problems with people following blogs etc. that are out of date. I don't think this will be an issue with your write up as it clearly states the version information, which is great.

Thanks again

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mcrosbie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:23 pm

gloomyandy wrote:... could you also provide a comment that if you are not using that version then please check the Wiki and lejos forum for more information. We have a lot of problems with people following blogs etc. that are out of date. I don't think this will be an issue with your write up as it clearly states the version information, which is great.

Done!
mcrosbie
Novice

Postby imk82 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi all,

has anyone experiences using a Netgear "WNA1000M" WLAN USB Stick with the 0.5.0 alpha version of Lejos? Can I use this type of Stick?

Best regards
Imk82
imk82
New User

Postby mcrosbie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:18 pm

What happens when you try it in your EV3? Do you get an IP address? The WNA1100 works perfectly and uses the Atheros chipset which I think the WNA1000 also uses (see http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB for details).

Mark
mcrosbie
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software