0.5.0-alpha

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: 0.5.0-alpha

Postby imk82 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Mark,

unfortunately it seems the WNA1000m uses another (Realtek) Chipset.

I get no IP Address. The Stick is recognized as USB Device (output of "lsusb"), but not as network interface ("ifconfig").

Do you have any ideas what can be done to use it?

Best regards
Imk82
imk82
New User

Postby ender » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:16 am

I am new to leJOS, I followed the steps of the wiki and modify the"wpa_supplicant.conf", I still can't connect the wifi. It's always "No access point found", who can help me !! thanks!!!
Is the"wpa_supplicant.conf" in this path "/LMS2012_EXT/etc/"??
ender
New User

Postby Cormorando » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to Mindstorms so answer to my question may be obvious but: Is it possible to create Android applicaton in Java that can communicate with EV3 brick with leJOS on it, control motors, read data from sensors, display it on Android device and run programs on brick remotely over Bluetooth? If yes then where can I find more information about how to do it? I mean how to communicate with the brick over Bluetooth, is there a library? I know about MonoBrick project but it's using C# on Android, I would prefer to make an app in Java. Thanks in advance.
Cormorando
New User

Postby ksattic » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:32 pm

I followed the guide here (and also at http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Get ... JOS%20EV3/), but with the 0.5.0-alpha, my EV3 brick never gets past the "Mindstorms starting..." logo.

I created a serial cable and I can see that the kernel comes up. I can see USB insertion and removal events for the Edimax EW‑7811Un wifi adapter, but other than that I don't see anything else on the screen, even after waiting 10+ minutes.

I tried creating the sd.img on a Mac and on a Linux box. I did remember to copy the ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-sflt-headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz file into the partition containing uImage.

Any thoughts?
ksattic
New User

Postby Bertram » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Hi all,

I have managed to successfully boot from the SD card the 0.5.0-alpha. But since I wanted a wireless connection I bought the EW7811 dongle. The connection works and I get an IP assigned from the router. Console via cable shows me that I can ping google or do a wget. But I am not able to use the wireless connection to connect from my laptop to the brick. I confirmed the IP with ifconfig over the cable connection and scanned all the ports - no response.
Then I tried to connect to my laptop from the brick. For that I opened a socket to respond to the request from the brick. All of a sudden the ssh/telnet ports were visible and I could connect with the wifi IP. But the connection soon was lost again.
I already tried to restart wpa_supplicant and dropbear - no success.

Any ideas what is going on?
Bertram
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:48 am

We aren't psychic... what OS are you running on your laptop? Do you have a firewall installed? Have you made any changes to the firewall? Can you ping the EV3 from your laptop?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Bertram » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm

I am running Win 8.1 on my laptop. Firewall is enabled.
I tried to connect from my NAS (Linux 3.2.40, no firewall) this also does not work. (laptop -(ssh) . nas - (ssh) - ev3)
Ping is not possible from NAS or Laptop to the EV3

As mentioned in the post before - I can open a connection from the EV3 to my laptop. There I can see that the IP is correct - I am then able to connect via ssh to the wireless connection of the EV3 which works for a short time. A bit later connection gets terminated and I am not able to connect again.
I think this is some network related issue, but I am not able to figure out what the problem is. I also tried static routes - no success.
Bertram
New User

Postby lawrie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:01 pm

If you are using the Wifi connection and the USB connection at the same time, you might be hitting the problem where disconnecting the USB cable from the EV3 hangs all networking on the EV3 (until you plug the USB cables in again).
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:02 pm

That sounds very much like a NAT firewall issue with the connection from the EV3 establishing a temporary path from it to the PC (which will be removed later causing the other connection to fail). What sort of router are you using? Does it just have a single subnet or does it allow you to have both a guest and main subnet (many routers let you do this to allow private and public hotspots), does it have any options to prevent systems talking to each other (as opposed to the internet), or between the public/private subnets? Is your NAS/PC connection via WiFi or via wired connection? Are there any controls to limit connections between the two?

Sounds like a router/firewall/network issue to me, not an EV3/leJOS problem!
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby djr667 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Got it working, but had a few problems. Am documenting them here:

1. Using Ubuntu 13.10 the 'dd' command does not work with the sd.img image file. After running 'dd' Ubuntu cannot find a 'FAT file system' on the SD card, nor can Windows.
Using the same sd.img with the Windows image utility works fine, and Ubuntu can see the files on SD card after the windows setup. Could be I typed the dd command incorrectly, but I have setup a Raspberry PI SD card a few times so I am no novice.

2. Wifi on the 'official' EV3 Netgear WNA100 does not work by default.
The fixes suggested on page 3 of this thread do work though. My /LMS2012_EXT/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:
Code: Select all
#eapol_version=1
#ap_scan=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

#fast_reauth=1

# Pers
network={
ssid="your-network-name"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="your password in plain text"
}

Keep up the good work...

Dave
djr667
New User

Postby Bertram » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi all,

after searching the internet a bit more I found the problem.
The EW7811 dongle goes into power-saving mode and then does not respond in time to the request.
On my Linux machine I did an "arp -n" which responded:

DiskStation> arp -n
? (192.168.2.21) at <incomplete> on eth0

Where 192.168.2.21 should be the EV3 - after pinging the router from EV3 arp returned the MAC adress and I was able to ssh to the EV3. Seems to be an issue which occurs on the Raspberry Pi with this dongle as well.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=33369

Solution seems to be to disable powersaving as mentioned here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 3&p=397663

Interesting enough my linux machine remembers the MAC while Windows forgets it after a while.
Bertram
New User

Postby ksattic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:58 pm

ksattic wrote:I followed the guide here (and also at http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Get ... JOS%20EV3/), but with the 0.5.0-alpha, my EV3 brick never gets past the "Mindstorms starting..." logo.

Responding to my own post.

I suspect I have a bad micro SD card. When I try to follow the 0.4.0 instructions, I am unable to mount the LMS2012_EXT partition after formatting. Trying a full-size SD card, formatting/mounting works fine. I formatted my full-size card and then dd'd everything over to the micro SD card. The kernel boots, but then is unable to mount the ext3 partition. I have a couple of 1GB cards lying around but sadly it looks like sd.img needs >1GB (the instructions say 1GB is fine).

Will get another 4GB micro SD and will try again...
ksattic
New User

Postby huha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:05 pm

USB Driver Not Found
I am not able to connect via USB using Win8.0 64bit. The device manager shows at other devices a missing RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget driver. Can anyone help where to get this driver?
huha
New User

Postby skoehler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:35 pm

huha wrote:USB Driver Not Found
I am not able to connect via USB using Win8.0 64bit. The device manager shows at other devices a missing RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget driver. Can anyone help where to get this driver?

Does this help?
http://developer.toradex.com/knowledge- ... -windows-7
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:57 am

Hi Bertram,
can you provide details of how to reproduce the problem you are seeing? I have two of these WiFi dongles and have never seen them power down. Are you waiting a long time between starting the EV3 and connecting to it? Does the Blue status light flash on your module? Does this stop when the problem occurs? On my two devices the light is flashing from time to time even when nothing is connected to the EV3.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software