Error compiling program! Help! (EV3)

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Error compiling program! Help! (EV3)

Postby DeSharp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 am

I followed the wiki's instructions exactly, but when I ran the ant file, it gave an error saying the javac wasn't set. So, I went to Installed JRE's and set it to the JDK.(Something the wiki didn't mention...) After that, I had an error saying that ev3classes wasn't in the workspace. I had saved it it a different place but had imported it like the wiki said. I ended up having to move it to the workspace manually. Now, there is a new error, and I have no idea how to solve it, here it is:

Code: Select all
[javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:1: error: package lejos.hardware does not exist
    [javac] import lejos.hardware.Button;
    [javac]                      ^
    [javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:2: error: package lejos.hardware.lcd does not exist
    [javac] import lejos.hardware.lcd.LCD;
    [javac]                          ^
    [javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:7: error: cannot find symbol
    [javac]         LCD.clear();
    [javac]         ^
    [javac]   symbol:   variable LCD
    [javac]   location: class EV3FirstProgram
    [javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:8: error: cannot find symbol
    [javac]         LCD.drawString("First EV3 Program", 0, 5);
    [javac]         ^
    [javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:9: error: cannot find symbol
    [javac]         Button.waitForAnyPress();
    [javac]         ^
    [javac]   symbol:   variable Button
    [javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:10: error: cannot find symbol
    [javac]         LCD.clear();
    [javac]         ^
    [javac] C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\src\EV3FirstProgram.java:11: error: cannot find symbol
    [javac]         LCD.refresh();
    [javac]         ^
    [javac] 7 errors

BUILD FAILED
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\Development\Java\Workspaces\NXT\EV3FirstProgram\build.xml:24: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 1 second
DeSharp
New User

Re: Error compiling program! Help! (EV3)

Postby lawrie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Have you run the ant build files for the DbusJava and ev3classes projects to build dbusjava.jar and ev3lassses.jar?
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby DeSharp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 pm

I guess that was the problem. Now the problem is that I don't have a wifi dongle, is there a certain recommended model?

Also, when are you going to update the wiki instructions for 0.5?
DeSharp
New User

Postby lawrie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm

The EDIMAX EW-7811-UN is cheap, small and works well with the leJOS.

I will look at what needs adding to the Wiki. I think it already mentions that you may need to change the lib.dir property (which specifies where the ev3classes project is). It should say that that ev3classes and DbusJava projects need to be built. I am not sure what it should say about ant build files and javac, as it is rather system specific. Perhaps we should change the ant build file to use the Eclipse compiler.

It is hard to get this stuff right at the moment as developers already have working Eclipse systems, and we are concentrating on developing leJOS rather than writing foolproof documentation of the current interim alpha system. The current alpha version of leJOS on the EV3 needs some familiarity with Eclipse, git, ant, etc.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:01 pm

There might be an issue with the EW7811:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5107&start=60#p21760
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Return to EV3 Software