Don't see the full name of the access points

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Don't see the full name of the access points

Postby saturn_at_sky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi, I am new in this forum. I have bought an EV3 kit, a sd Card, a card reader and a WIFI adapter (from EDIMAX) last week. My OS is Windows 8.1.
I had no problems at the preparation of the sd card. But I have a problem to log into my access point.
The window of the access points is unfortunately to small. In Germany, we often have FRITZ!Boxes as access points. The name of my FRITZ!Box is: "FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270". And there are a few FRITZ!Boxes in the neighborhood. They differ in the number at the end and this number I can not see on the EV3 display. Is it possible, to show a name of an access point with two or more rows in a future release, if it is to long for the LCD display?
My second question is: Is it possible to transfer programs to the EV3 with the USB cable? I don't know anything about Linux and I don't want do damage my EV3.
saturn_at_sky
New User

Re: Don't see the full name of the access points

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:06 pm

I doubt if we will change the menu to display multiple lines for access point SSIDs. Why not simply change the name of your access point? That would
a) work with the EV3
b) Probably be more secure as it makes it harder for hackers to identify that you may have an access point with a known security issue.

There are several threads covering using network connections over USB. Unfortunately the forum search does not find matches for words 3 letters or less. But a few minutes spent browsing the forum should turn them up.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:38 pm

We could use left and right arrows to scroll across the names of access points, but that probably means changing to using the up and down arrows for moving through the list. This probably won't get done for a while.

I do plan to put the instructions back into the Wiki on manual configuration of Wifi. Perhaps we should support having a copy of wpa_supplicant.conf in the LMS2012 partition so it can be edited on Windows.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby saturn_at_sky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

To make the access point display scrollable is a very good idea.
I have loggedin in my access point by trial and error. I loaded up my first program which I have ported from my NXT to the EV3 and it works fine. It uses the differential pilot and the program processes as expected.
Thank you for developing leJOS for the EV3!
saturn_at_sky
New User

Return to EV3 Software