NXT Fantom-Driver and Arduino

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

NXT Fantom-Driver and Arduino

Postby matt.tau » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:16 am

I bricked my NXT-Brick while flashing the leJOS-firmware. During flashing my NXT-brick was regognized as "Bossa Program Port" and the flashing program stopped.
I found the solution in the RobotC-forum:
http://www.robotc.net/forums/viewtopic. ... view=print
On win7-64bit I installed the Arduino-software and both the Arduino- and NXT-usb-driver are using the same id (on win-xp both programs work without any problems).
After renaming the specifig oem101.inf file and uninstalling the "Bossa Program Port"-driver I could flash the NXT-brick again and all works fine, execpt my Arduino now.
Is there any possibility to fix this?
matt.tau
New User

Re: NXT Fantom-Driver and Arduino

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 am

Not from us there isn't. Both drivers are provided by others (Lego and whoever provides the Arduino driver), you probably need to talk with them. Sorry.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: NXT Fantom-Driver and Arduino

Postby skoehler » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:18 pm

The Lego driver and the Arduino driver are fundamentally incompatible I suppose. I believe, the Arduino driver provides a good old COM port. The Lego driver on the other hand uses National Instrument's USB stuff (no COM port). I'm sure there is some way for us to use the COM port. But we never bothered to support this.
Other driver that are known make the NXT appear as COM port in the device manager are the driver that comes with Atmel's SMB-CDC software and some driver for some mysterious GPS Camera (or something like it) that Microsoft distributed via Windows Update (thanks MS, for accepting that driver).

I don't think you need to mess around with *.inf files. Simply install Lego's driver, put the NXT in firmware upgrade mode (it ticks) and connect it to the PC. Then go to the device manager, find the NXT, and switch to the Lego driver (the *.inf files of that are somewhere on your harddisk). I believe Windows is clever enough to remember that you want the Lego driver next time your plug-in the NXT. However, next time you plug in the arduino the arduino might appear as an NXT.

The problem with support the COM-port drivers is that we need to walk through the Windows device tree to find the connected NXTs. Alternatively, we could simply add COM support for the command line version of nxjflash. Then again, we'd need to add rxtx to out libraries just to support that feature. It's not a top-priority at the moment.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Hardware