0.5.0-alpha

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: 0.5.0-alpha

Postby roger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 am

Yet another problem. How can I import RConsole to use in a program to run on the EV3?
I imported the master, then switched to the tag 0.5.0-alpha.
windows explore it is in git/EVMenu/src/lejos/ev3/startup, but the EVMenu project is not recognized by Eclipse.
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:40 am

Hi Roger,
assuming you mean the EV3Menu project I've not had any problems importing that project in eclipse. Have just tried it again with a fresh checkout from git. What happens when you try?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 am

Hi Andy,
I deleted all the git files, imported all the projects from Master, switched to 0.5.0, built DBusJava, ev3classes, EV3Menu and ev3tools projects.
Now EV3HelloWorld will not download. Gives the message:

[scp] Connecting to 10.0.1.1:22
BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\owner.GLASSEY\git\ev3\EV3HelloWorld\build.xml:42: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

The EV3 is connected to the usb port (the computer beeps when I pull the plug)
Seems a step backwards.
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Roger,
how long did you wait after connecting your EV3 before trying the upload. It can take some time for the PC to obtain an IP address from the EV3 and for 10.0.1.1 to become a valid address. Try doing the following...
1. Plug in your EV3 via USB.
2. Turn on the EV3
3. Go make a cup of coffee
4. Open up a Windows cmd window
5. type ping 10.0.1.1
6. What response do you get?
7. If it looks like your PC can see the EV3, try to compile and upload your program again.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Bad news. waited a half hour and no response from ping. Pulled out the sim card, waited 5 minutes and tried again with the lego software running, Still no success.
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Roger,
Do you have the Lego software on your PC? If so can you try removing the SD card and starting the EV3 (so that the Lego firmware is running on the EV3) with the USB cable attached. Then start the PC side Lego software, can you see your EV3 from the Lego software?

If the above works then this means that the USB hardware and cable is fine.

I assume you have had network connections working over USB to the EV3 working before?

What version of Windows are you running?

If you had this working before and it does not work now I'm at a loss as to what to suggest you try next. I tend to use WiFi mostly but I have used USB a fair bit and not seen any of these problems.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 pm

USB Connectivity doesn't always work. I believe for Windows XP we need to provide an *.inf file (even though the drivers are included with Windows XP) and for Windows 7 and above, once needs to manually tell windows which driver to use, i.e. by default the EV3 appears as some unrecognized device in the Windows Device Manager. Some user posted an *.inf file for Windows XP and somewhere else (in this thread?) I posted the link to the guide on how to tell Windows 7 to use RNDIS driver.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 am

Hi Sven,
Re RNDIS driver. The link you supplied did not help with my failure to connect to the EV3 with usb. The device manager did not show any RNDIS devices that needed a driver. I have been connecting to the brick via USB for more than a month, till 2 days ago. I suppose it is possible for the driver to get wiped out, but when I plug in to the PC, the PC gives a couple of beeps just as when connecting the NXT.
thanks
roger
roger

Postby roger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:29 am

Hi Andy,
RE Ping failure.
I do not have the lego software since I have the educational kit and did not pay the extra for it. I am Using Windows 8
I have been using the usb connection for about a month before this problem happened. The only change was that I erased all my git files, and imported everything again.
BTE, my device manager now shows a USB Ethernet/RANDIS Gadget and reports that is working properly, I even changed the network address to 10.0.1.1 and ping still times out. Also fails with the SD card removed. A serious puzzle.
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:42 am

Hi Roger,
not working over USB with the Lego firmware is to be expected as that does not run a network over USB as we do. However it should work with leJOS. How do you shutdown your PC, do you shut it down totally or put it into sleep/hibernate? Could you try rebooting to see if that helps? If not I'll try and set things up on my Windows 8 system and see if I can give you a few more things to try.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 am

Hi Andy,
Things that do work: NXJcontrol connects to a NXT box using the USB cable. I assume this means that the usb driver is OK (specially since it worked with the EV3 last week) But what failed a couple of days ago is the usb connection between the PC and the EV3 brick. ping 10.0.1.1 times out. So does a download of a jar file from eclipse using the build.xml file.
Possibly unrelated - bluetooth on the EV3 not working completely. It finds a NXT, but cannot pair with it. The NXT finds the EV3 but also cannot pair with it. Both are paired with the PC . Also, EV3Control does not find the brick in bluetooth mode .
Good luck with the new sim card - that is more important than my puzzle.
Roger
roger

Postby roger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 am

Hi Andy,
PS I usually sleep my PC, but I have rebooted a couple of times since the pc to EV3 communications failed.
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 am

Hi Roger,
ok I now have an EV3 connected to my Windows 8.1 laptop. If you open up the control panel then choose "network and internet" you should be able to open up the network and sharing centre. From there on the left hand side you can click on "change adapter settings". In this window without the EV3 connected do you any device called something like "Local area connection" with sub text of "USB Ethernet/RNDIS gadget"? If you (again without the EV3 connected) can you delete this device?

If the device is not present without the EV3 attached can you then attach the EV3 (with the leJOS SD card inserted) and turn it on. At some point the above device should appear. Does it?

If it does give it a few minutes to settle down and then try right clicking on the device and select "status". What is displayed next to the item "IPv4 connectivity"? Can you also click on the "details" button, what values (if any) are shown for "IPV4 Address" and "IPV4 DHCP server"?

Finally try clicking on the "properties" button in the status dialog. This will bring up another window with a scrolling list box. In this list box select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" then click on the "properties" button at the bottom of the dialog. This will bring up yet another dialog box. Please make sure that "Obtain and IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" are both selected.

If you made any changes in the above you may need to unplug and replug your EV3 to see if it now works.

If everything in the above seems OK then all I can suggest is that you try clicking on the diagnose button, to see if that helps, if it does not then try disabling the device and re-enabling it again to see it that helps!

Good luck

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: 0.5.0-alpha and wifi problem

Postby ursulus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 pm

hello everyone,

i am quite new to lejos and just want to share my experiences when getting it running

as pc i have a netbook running on lubuntu
my wlan router is using WPA2-PSK
my wlan stick is a belkin: 050d:705a Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v3000 [Ralink RT2571W]

installation of lejos on sc-card went smooth according to the lejos-wiki
eventually I realized that I can connect to the command line of the EV3 via USB with ssh and telnet
using root as username and with an empty passwword

when trying to use the belkin wlan stick in the lejos wifi-menu I only got the message "no access points f"
when I stopped wpa_supplicant on the command line with killall and restarted it with
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
I got to see its output. There I could see that all wlan access points were actually found during the scan, but as an
error message each time it said "ssid mismatch"

so I had a look into the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

it showed as entry
ssid="ev3lan"
and also some psk which I guess belongs to the ev3lan.

So I changed the conf file using the name of my wlan and the psk which I generated on the command line of my lubuntu with
wpa_passphrase "ssid" password
I guess this wpa_passphrase tool comes with the wpa_supplicant installed on my pc.

with this new conf the wifi is now working.

thanks to all lejos makers!
greets from ursulus
ursulus
New User

Postby roger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

ok I now have an EV3 connected to my Windows 8.1 laptop. If you open up the control panel then choose "network and internet" you should be able to open up the network and sharing centre. From there on the left hand side you can click on "change adapter settings". In this window without the EV3 connected do you any device called something like "Local area connection" with sub text of "USB Ethernet/RNDIS gadget"?

Unfortunately, the change adapter settings -> Local Area Connection only shows a Realtek PCle FE family controller ; no RNDIS gadget shows up there, both with the EV3 pluged in and without. But with the EV3 plugged in, the device manager shows aht RNCIS gadget under network adapters. and it claims to be working properly.
Roger
roger

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software