Infrared Sensor seems not to work without EV3Control

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Infrared Sensor seems not to work without EV3Control

Postby slimex » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to lejos and java at all. This fall I bought an EV3 and additional sensors and parts. I am working on my first 2 projects for less than 2 month now. It really was fun to get into this by now, everything went fine so far, until this weekend. I took my EV3 with me to a friend to demonstrate the 2 projects. A graphic sensor monitor showing a graph with sensor values and a simple ir remote controlled drive program. Both ran without any problems at home, but this time, there was some kind of infrared sensor issue. The programs did both not react properly to the infrared sensor input and the whole execution stuttered at all. Best example was my graphic sensor monitor. As soon as the infrared sensor was initiated, the program began to hang for a few seconds and then ran properly for another few seconds and then hung again and so on. From time to time the sensor values were shown correctly, rest of the time not. It seemed like I would break the connection to the sensor every few seconds.
At home I started to investigate the problem. Once connected via bluetooth networking to my pc with EV3 control from the ev3tools running and connected, both programs again functioned properly. After disconnecting from the pc the issues were back. I have exchanged cables, with no result, the issue is still there. I will investigate further as soon as I find the time and also would like to post the graphic sensor monitor in EV3 projects, as soon as it is fixed.

Perhaps anyone knows about this issue and how to fix it ? I would appreciate any help. :)

Greetings,

slimex
slimex
New User

Re: Infrared Sensor seems not to work without EV3Control

Postby lawrie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:00 pm

There is a problem with USB networking where all networking often hangs when you remove a USB cable until you plug it in again. Could this be the problem you are hitting? It should not occur if you only use Bluetooth or Wifi networking (or if you keep the cable plugged in).
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby slimex » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:07 pm

I do not use the usb connection usually. An USB cable has not been plugged in the last weeks. I first used wifi, then switched to bluetooth due to the heavy battery demand of the wifi dongle. The problem occurs while the EV3 is not networked at all.
slimex
New User

Postby lawrie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Another thing to try is not to use port 1. Andy found a problem with port 1 recently, due to there being a linux console connected to port 1 during start-up, which is never properly disconnected, and some of the debugging messages that are still in the 0.5.0 release go to this phantom console and can affect sensors on that port.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby slimex » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:24 pm

The infrared sensor is placed in port........... !! 1 !! :). I will test it as soon as I am home. Thanks.
slimex
New User

Postby slimex » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 am

Ok, as far as I have tested, the IR Sensor works fine in Port S2. Also, an AbsoluteIMU-ACG worked fine in Port S1, but I did not test another one in this Port yet. Thanks again for the help.
slimex
New User

Return to EV3 Software