Message from Oracle

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Message from Oracle

Postby henrikstahl » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 am

Hi all,

In case you aren't aware, we have made a version of Java SE Embedded certified on Mindstorms EV3 available here:
http://java.com/legomindstorms

We will keep the binary on this page up-to-date as part of our normal release train, so you should expect a few updates every year with bug fixes and enhancements. This is a production-grade implementation of Java SE 7 that we normally sell to companies that build embedded devices. Using it for development, demos, education and similar purposes is royalty free - we expect this will cover all Mindstorms usage. You will need to register with Oracle and accept the license to download (sorry!). We hope that the leJOS community can use this as a basis for its efforts in porting the leJOS APIs and enhancing them for the EV3.

We are also tinkering with a Java ME Embedded version for the EV3. This is not as feature-rich, but may be a better fit from a usability perspective (faster startup for instance). If/when we have something to share, we'll let you know. This is a side project so no guarantees.

With some help from Andy Shaw, we have put together some leJOS/Java-powered EV3 robots that we will showcase at JavaOne in San Francisco next week. If you are there, come and introduce yourself!

Best regards from the Oracle Java team. Keep up the good work!

Henrik Ståhl
Vice President, Product Management
Oracle
henrikstahl
New User

Re: Message from Oracle

Postby marvin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello,

thank you for providing java for the EV3 :-)

is the mindstorms EV3 version a special jre-version? I thought it is the standard ARM v5 version, isn't it?

About the licence: Is it legal to use a leJOS mindstorms in challenges or may this harm any copyrights?

To get the leJOS/EV3 Java ME edition compatible we have to port the leJOS classes to work with CDC 1.1, haven't we? This does not work at the moment.

Andy, is this an action point? When leJOS is more stable (and has a menu - shame on me)?

Bye marvin
--
I am feeling very depressed...
marvin
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 am

marvin wrote:To get the leJOS/EV3 Java ME edition compatible we have to port the leJOS classes to work with CDC 1.1, haven't we? This does not work at the moment.

Apparently, there will be a major update to Java ME, namely CDCD 8:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javame/config/cl ... index.html
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby pepijndevos » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:09 am

Very nice that Oracle cares about LEGO :)

Small correction, it mention NXT where EV3 is meant: "Guide on how to run Java on Lego NXT"
pepijndevos
New User

Postby henrikstahl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:18 am

Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply, I don't follow this forum. If you have any questions for us at Oracle, you may want to flag Andy (who works for Oracle, but not in the Java group).

> is the mindstorms EV3 version a special jre-version? I thought it is the standard ARM v5 version, isn't it?

Standard ARMv5 version so far. We created a special download page so that we had a place to put Lego-specific links & information. We may in the future host other Lego-related downloads or links, or (if necessary) a special JRE build. We *did* run through the effort of validating the binary on actual EV3 hardware prior to posting it. Thanks to Lego for the hardware, and to Andy for help getting the QA environment set up!

> About the licence: Is it legal to use a leJOS mindstorms in challenges or may this harm any copyrights?

The license you accept when you download the binary answers this question. It says:

"We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your application"

A robot building challenge should fall under "demonstrating your application" so no worries. Besides, it would be kind of silly of us to make a Java binary available to the LeJOS community under terms that prevented the community for using it. Believe it or not, we actually think about things like this :-)

Henrik Ståhl
Vice President, Product Management
Java & Internet of Things
Oracle
henrikstahl
New User

Return to EV3 Software