Short Bug Report

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Short Bug Report

Postby saturn_at_sky » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 am

Hi, leJOS Team

When developing my first projects, unfortunately I found this bugs:

1) In the class MindsensorsAbsoluteIMU the statement in the stopCalibration method must be sendData(COMMAND, END_CALIBRATION);

2) The ButtonListener doesn't work. This is my coding:

Code: Select all
public class TicTacToe implements ButtonListener {

Button.ESCAPE.addButtonListener(this);

@Override
public void buttonPressed(Button b) {
   closeEnvironmet(Tool4Robot.CLOSE_EXIT);
   System.exit(0);
}

@Override
public void buttonReleased(Button b) {
   // TODO Auto-generated method stub
}

3) If the program ends, the color sensor [getRedMode()] is not turned off. It is necessary to close the sensor at the end of the program: sensor1.close();

4) If the program Ends, the button pattern Button.LEDPattern(...) is not turned off. It is necessary to set the pattern to Null at program end: Button.LEDPattern(0);

5) The color sensor shows the following behavior:

Port port = LocalEV3.get().getPort("S4");
sensor1 = new EV3ColorSensor(port);
sensor1.setFloodlight(Color.WHITE);

(Light is white)

light = sensor1.getRGBMode();
float[] light_sample = new float[light.sampleSize()];
light.fetchSample(light_sample, 0);

light.fetchSample(light_sample, 0);

(Light turns to red)

6) After a few hours work, the EV3 freezes at program start. The EV3 can be reset by pressing 3 seconds on the buttons enter an escape. If a program start follows, the program ends in unexpected results, so the foregoing upload was inconsistent. A new upload is necessary.

7) Sometimes (20%) the EV3 starts without a wifi connection.

8) If I change batteries, I must ever define a new wifi connection.

This bugs are not critical, because I found workarounds. But I think it is important for you to know about.
saturn_at_sky
New User

Re: Short Bug Report

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:15 am

Hi,
thanks for the bug report. A few quick comments....

Some of these are known issues (but thanks for the report anyway). To save yourself time tracking down issues that may already be known it is always worth looking at the source. So for instance if you look at the button listener code in:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/ev3/ci/ ... utton.java
You will see the comment:
//TODO: Sort out listeners or get rid of them!
Similarly in the color sensor driver:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/ev3/ci/ ... ensor.java
You will see the comment:
* TODO: RGB mode seems to cause the sensor to crash!

I'm not suggesting you should not report the issues, just that if you are seeing a problem it is always worth looking at the source as this may save you time working out what is wrong.

I have never sen problems with the WiFi connection failing to be started and I reboot my EV3 a lot. Any help you can provide in terms of narrowing down what is happening here will mean we are more likely to fix this in a future release.

I'm surprised that replacing the battery requires you to re-configure your WiFi. I assume that you do not have to do this when simply restarting the EV3? Are you using the menu to define your WiFi settings?

I'm not sure if you know but you do not need to

Thanks

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Another short bug report.
If I plug in the usb cable before starting the EV3, and press the run button, the default program runs but the screen does not display the result of LCD.drawString. After it completes, I plug in the usb and run the program again. This time, the LCD display is updates as it should and the program runs as it should.
Second experiment- start the EV3 then connect usb. Download the test program and run the default with usb connected. The screen displays "run default", but after 1 minute the program has still not started. At that point, the EV3 is unresponsive to button presses, and only removing the battery causes it to respond. I restart the EV3, without the usb connection, and the default program runs correctly.
Does anyone else get this behavior? BTW, I cleaned out the sim card a couple of days ago and downloaded the 0.5.0 alpha image.
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Roger I'm a little confused as to why you are using "run default" rather than selecting the program to run. Have you set a default program previously? What happens if you do the same things you have described but select the program to run explicitly, do you have the same issues? I must admit to not using the menu much and I also tend to use WiFi rather than a USB connection, so I can't really comment on these particular problems. Do you have a WiFi dongle?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi Andy,
I use the run default because a single button press starts it, even if the screen is blank.
A still have not been able to get the WiFi working. I have a dongle for the EV3 but it never finds an access point when plugged into the EV3. When I plug it into my PC usb port, the power light comes on and the PC recognizes my wireless router.
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:36 am

Hi Roger,
what dongle do you have? Does the light on it come on when plugged into the EV3?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Andy,
I am using a netgear wna1100. If I plug it into the EV3 before starting up, the power light comes on. But no no access point is found. But my wireless router is visible to both my ipad and my android phone.

roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Roger,
if you remove the SD card and boot the Lego firmware can you see your access point using that?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:08 am

Hi Andy,
I don't see any access points from the Lego wifi menu. It shows 3 icons a triangle around ! , [X] , and a circle around I with some wavy stuff below.. The only option is the check box that returns up one level.
Is there some setting I need to change on my wireless router to make it visible from the EV3?
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Roger,
in the Lego menu it may be worth doing the WiFi search several times, I seem to remember that it did not find my router on initial search.

When running leJOS do you know how to login to the EV3 using ssh/telnet?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi Andy,
No luck after several tries with the wi fi menu.
I have set up a new access on my pc, in addition to the one on the wireless router. Both of these show on my ipad when I look for wi fi conections, but neither shows on the EV3.
No, I do not know how to communicate with the EV# using ssh/telnet.
Roger
roger

Postby SegmentFault » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Think i found an small issue in the EV3GyroSensor class.
You will see that only one of the constructors sets the available modes for the sensor.

public class EV3GyroSensor extends UARTSensor {
  public EV3GyroSensor(Port port) {
    super(port);
    setModes(new SensorMode[] { new RateMode(), new AngleMode() });
  }

public EV3GyroSensor(UARTPort port) {
    //Nothing here?
    super(port);
  }
}

Is this intentional?
Found that the rest of the EV3 sensors includes it in both constructors
public class EV3UltrasonicSensor extends UARTSensor {
  protected void init()
  {
    setModes(new SensorMode[] { new DistanceMode(), new ListenMode() });     
  }
  public EV3UltrasonicSensor(Port port) {
    super(port, 0);
    init();
  }
  public EV3UltrasonicSensor(UARTPort port) {
    super(port, 0);
    init();
  }
}

Do you have any online issue tracker available? Something like the one Github provides?

Keep up the good work :D
SegmentFault
New User

Postby mkrempin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm facing the same WiFi problem.

While leJOS boots, the light on my Netgear WNA1100 lights up and stays on. If I try to set up the WiFi connection I get the same result as pointed out above: No access point f[ound]. The light doesn't flash at any time while I use leJOS.

I checked the point from the former posts:

- I can use the WiFi dongle with the stock firmware. All my access-points are visible and it connects nicely, getting an IP-adress from my DHCP-Server.
- Trying to start the WiFi setup a couple of times didn't work out either (although I have seen that I have to enter the Bluetooth menu twice till Bluetoth is started).

I tried to connect the EV3 with an USB-cable to my UBUNTU laptop. The connection was established at once and I was able to switch to the EV3 using SSH...

So, if you tell me what I have to look for in the log-files ...

Bye

Marc
mkrempin
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi,
I'm pretty sure I've been able to reproduce the problem with the WNA1100 and checked in a fix to the leJOS menu code. There is nothing you can do to fix the menu problem without using the latest git master code. If you just want to get things working and are happy with editing files under Linux, then you could manually edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file in the /etc directory to add your network SSID and psk. If none of this makes any sense probably best to wait for a new release!

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 am

Hi Andy,
Glad to know that a fix is possible. I eagerly await the next release. Will it also fix the interference of the usb code with the display?
Roger
roger

Next

Return to EV3 Software