need BIG help

This is the place to ask question about Enchanting, talk about your Enchanting projects or simply find out more about Enchanting on the NXT.

Moderator: clintonb

need BIG help

Postby benpete420 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:04 pm

I have a mac running 10.6.8 and installed leJOS on my nxt. Now it is stuck in firmware update mode. I read the info on how to get it out but it isn't working. I plug it in to my computer and it thinks it is a modem. HELP!!!!
benpete420
New User

Re: need BIG help

Postby skoehler » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:56 pm

The installation of leJOS failed? Are you sure you have the latest fantom driver installed? Download it here:
http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/do ... om-driver/
Then try to install leJOS again. You can also download the latest Lego software:
http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/do ... -software/
and try to flash the latest Lego firmware instead of leJOS.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Re: need BIG help

Postby clintonb » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:43 am

Hi benpete420.

I'll echo what skoehler said about checking that the Fantom driver is installed.

Yes, you could indeed try to install leJOS separately, but you shouldn't have to do that to use Enchanting.

I vaguely remember an issue I ran into where a USB device (a SMART Board, as I recall) was detected as a network interface under OS X -- may've been 10.6. My google fu is failing me on the issue. Are there any software updates to apply? Are you running the latest on the 10.6 line (10.6.8, IIRC)?

It might not hurt to try LEGO's official NXT-G software. You can download it for free. I don't think you'll have any better luck if the NXT itself shows up as a network device, but it won't hurt to try.

I vaguely wonder if you can go to System Preferences, choose Networking, find the NXT that is misidentified as a modem in the list, and hit the minus button at the bottom to delete it. Maybe reboot and maybe run disk utility and repair permissions and re-install the fantom driver and reboot again? (I don't see an obvious way to uninstall the fantom driver. I could think of a tedious way to do it, but I don't know if it would help.)

If none of this helps and you see something like an error message telling you a modem was identified, could you take down what it says or take a screenshot?

Good luck!
Clinton
clintonb
Active User

Return to Enchanting Questions and Projects