leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:07 pm

No idea really sorry. Networking over USB works fine with my Windows 8.1 notebook. Which version of the SD card image are you using? With the leJOS SD card we do not use the etc/network/interfaces scripts instead all of the configuration is handled by scripts in the /home/root/lejos/bin directory. Have you made any changes to the leJOS sdcard? Out of the box it should be loading the rndis driver and it should not be loading any of the Lego USB modules. Are you trying to run the Lego VM by any chance? You can't really do this with the leJOS SD card.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roamingbot » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Andy. From one of the videos I noticed that the splash screen had a version number included, which did not show up on my EV3 screen. So apparently I somehow managed to download an older version. After I downloaded the real 0.4.0 alpha and installed it, all is now working fine including the USB connection. Thanks for all the good work and I will now start experimenting with leJOS for the EV3.
roamingbot
New User

Postby aprendiendo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:04 am

dendrobates wrote:I had the same problem. So I just deleted the wpa_supplicant.conf and made a new one with the following content:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ctrl_interface_group=0
#eapol_version=1
#ap_scan=2 was the one for me you may try 0 or 1 indstead of 2
#ap_scan=2
#fast_reauth=1
network={
ssid="yourSSID"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
psk="pwinplaintext"
}

Thanks a lot! It worked to me. With old routers WPA (not WPA2) is needed
aprendiendo
New User

Postby Cormorando » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi, I'm new to Mindstorms so answer to my question may be obvious but: Is it possible to create Android applicaton in Java that can communicate with EV3 brick with leJOS on it, control motors, read data from sensors, display it on Android device and run programs on brick remotely over Bluetooth? If yes then where can I find more information about how to do it? I mean how to communicate with the brick over Bluetooth, is there a library? I know about MonoBrick project but it's using C# on Android, I would prefer to make an app in Java. Thanks in advance.
Cormorando
New User

Postby lawrie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 am

Hi Cormorando,

No, it is currently not possible. Most of the pieces are there but not quite everything you need.

There is a sample Android project but it uses TCP over Wifi or Bluetooth Pan, not Bluetooth serial and currently cannot access sensors and motors. It can run programs. I don't think Android works as a Bluetooth Pan client, so probably only Wifi works.

We have a Java RMI remote access API, but that only works over TCP and is not supported on Android.

We can emulate the NXT LCP protocol over Bluetooth but you need to run an LCP respomder on the NXT and you would have to use the NXT pccomm libraries on Android. Also LCP emulation is currently not very good, so this is not recommended.

We need to design a full remote access API as an alternative to Java RMI that works from Android, and then implement is over TCP and Bluetooth serial comms.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Cormorando,

I just looked at the MonoBrick project and I am not sure it does what you want in C#.

It has ad Sd card image that run C# programs on the EV3 using the Mono framework, in a similar way to how leJOS works with Java.

It has a remote protocol that works with the NXT over Bluetooth (similar to our support for LCP).

But I cannot see anything that says that Android clients currently support remote access over Bluetooth to the EV3. I may well be wrong.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby gymbuntu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi forum,
the ev3 wiki says:
Make yourself a cup of tea (or a beverage of your choice!) to celebrate!

Congratulations you can now create and run Java programs on the EV3. Be sure to post on the forum and let us know how you are using leJOS!

So here I am.

Thanks for the great wiki and the efford to let "normal" users use Java on the ev3.
Roland
gymbuntu
New User

Postby aprendiendo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Wifi doesn work with the new 0.6.0 version, not event doing the changes to the supplicant.conf that worked for the 0.5.0 version. My router doesn't support WPA2, only WPA.

Could you help me, please?

Thanks!
aprendiendo
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 pm

I don't think there are any changes that would have stopped WiFi from working, if it worked in 0.5.0 it should work in 0.6.0 I would try the changes again.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby aprendiendo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:00 am

You are right, gloomyandy

When I was trying to configure wpa_supplicant for 0.5.0, in some test I generated an hexadecimal PSK (wpa_passphrase [ ssid ] [ passphrase ]) but also changed something else, and it worked. Then I test to use the plain text password, and as it worked I don't went back to the hex password...

But it seems that once you have configured it with the hex password (and not changed the password, I suppose) it doesn't mind if you go back to the plain text, but it seems that you should generate the hex password at least once: Lejos 0.6.0 wifi works after generating it!

Thanks!
aprendiendo
New User

Postby jorrge » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi I'm new on the forum, and my English is no so good, so forget for my mistakes, so let's to the point:
I have follow the instructions to get the bootable SD card, in the last step, where I need to copy the Oracle.gz file I have the problem that the size of the SD card is 49MB, after the sudo command, but my SD card is 2GB size, so what is wrong, in fact I've put the SD card in to the LEGOEV3 ant it shows the firts screen of LeJOS, but it freezes, any help?
jorrge
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Please see the Java 8 sticky thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6435
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jorrge » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:56 am

HHi, thanks my friend, it was so useful, my problem was the version of java, now I'm running LeJOS, I expect to continue without problems and I something happend now I know where to look at, once again thanks.
jorrge
New User

Postby jorrge » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:13 am

Hi I post my question in the other topic, but let's try again with another problem, I have made all up to the point of be able to download jar files to my EV3, and I try to execute it and it shows me just a clean screen for few seconds and then get back to the last screen, I mean nothing happend, I make the firtsEV3 program where only shows one message on the screen, why is that the program makes nothing? thanks in advance.
jorrge
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Please do not post the same question to multiple threads. Please start a new thread for new questions. If you do not get a response try adding to your thread by providing more information. I have created a new thread for your question. You can find it here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6456
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software