Need some guidance with Calculator Robot

Post your NXJ projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Need some guidance with Calculator Robot

Postby Enes » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 pm

My friend and I are planning to create a Calculator Robot which uses 4 lightsensors to 'read' numbers and operators.
Then he calculates according to whats on the scanned sheet of paper.
We planned on using Java scripts on an NXT robot.
The idea is that the numbers are displayed digital and fairly large, each sensor reads a certain aspect of the number (Number 1 reads upper body of the number. Number2 reads the mid section. Number 3 & 4 also read different aspects of the number to make sure they can distinguish the numbers 0 trough 9).
Then according to what they read the robot calculates and displays the outcome of the sum on the LCD display.
We only use numbers of 1 digits, so nothing above 9. And only the operators, +, -, : and x(*).

Is this doable?
In which I mean is it not of a too high level of difficulty to accomplish?

Any tips will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Enes
Enes
New User

Postby mdsmitty » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:22 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. Probably the best thing to do is make your numbers out of bricks so that the shape of the number is always the same. Scan it into a 2D array and then compare it to preset 2D arrays to determine the numbers and operations. Then just do your math from there.
mdsmitty
Novice

Postby Enes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:54 am

mdsmitty wrote:Sounds like an interesting project. Probably the best thing to do is make your numbers out of bricks so that the shape of the number is always the same. Scan it into a 2D array and then compare it to preset 2D arrays to determine the numbers and operations. Then just do your math from there.

Thanks mate, I also thought about this idea, but you seconding it makes me feel confident about it.

I'm going to use this and try to work it out.

Edit: But does NXJ support 2D-arrays?

Enes
Enes
New User

Postby mdsmitty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:45 am

Yeah it supports 2d arrays. A few years ago I made a robot with 2 RCX that played checkers. The layout of the board would be loaded in to a 2D array.
mdsmitty
Novice

Postby Enes » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:14 am

Hello all,

The Robot is almost done, we took some movies testing the robot.

1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CyuFiRoqWeI
2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=e8C_tBhU2oU
3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=H_FMGXqjSNg

Clackl
Enes
New User

Postby bbagnall » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:06 am

That's pretty cool. I assume this is more of a tech demo with no practical purpose? :)
bbagnall
Site Admin

Return to NXJ Projects