Lejos not recognizing EV3 brick via USB

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Lejos not recognizing EV3 brick via USB

Postby fred7 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello, i am new to lejos or any Mindstorms advanced programming tools.

I followed the installation instructions provided in the wiki, and everything went well, until i tried to upload a program to the brick.
I build the program and then try to upload it to the brick and get the following error message:

Jar file has been created successfully
Using the EV3 menu for upload and to execute program
Creating the jar file or uploading the program failed
java.lang.Exception: No EV3 Found: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out

After that i noticed that the brick is not being recognized by the leJOS Control tool, when i press the search button it shows a "No EV3 found" message.

I would appreciate some help in this matter, i am very excited to start some advanced programming with my EV3 :D .

Environment Specs:

Java: JDK with java 1.7.55 - 32bits
Eclipse 4.3.2 - 32bits
leJOS: 0.8.1-BETA-win32

Thanks.
fred7
New User

Re: Lejos not recognizing EV3 brick via USB

Postby gloomyandy » Sun May 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Have you installed the rndis driver? See the following thread and the threads that are referenced in my replies.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6903&p=24930&hilit=rndis#p24930
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby fred7 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:33 pm

I already installed the RNDIS driver following these instructions:

http://developer.toradex.com/knowledge- ... -windows-7

which is the same as these:

https://github.com/mindboards/ev3dev/wi ... Networking

but it didnt work.

Do you think the problem is in that driver?

Thank you for your help.
fred7
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun May 04, 2014 9:04 pm

But did you also follow those instructions and try to assign an Ip address to the EV3? If so this will almost certainly not work. You need to let the PC obtain an IP address from the EV3 automatically.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby fred7 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 pm

I didnt set any static ip address, i checked the option Obtain Ip Address Automatically, and it didnt work.
fred7
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun May 04, 2014 9:22 pm

It that case no idea, I've never seen this fail if you have the correct driver installed. Have you checked your device manager to see if the device has been recognized correctly. As you can see a number of other users also have it working fine, so I suspect there is something different about your configuration. When you plug the EV3 in do you see the new network interface being created? If not then maybe you have the wrong rndis driver installed. If you do see the new interface what is the status of it and what ip address has been assigned to it?

What happens if you ping 10.0.1.1? Do you get any response?

What happens if you use the standard Lego software and firmware? Are you able to see the EV3 via USB using the same computer and USB port?

One final possibility what sort of USB port are you attaching the EV3 to? If it is a USB port, try using a USB 2 port.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby fred7 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 pm

The device is being recognized as "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" under "Network Adapters" in the device manager.

I ping to that address and it responds back with no problem.

I have already user the standard lego firmware with the lego provided software with no problems.

Is it possible to be a problem with the java version?
fred7
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun May 04, 2014 9:43 pm

If it responds to the ping then you should be able to open an ssh connection to it (try it with putty). If that works then are you sure you have configured the eclipse plugin correctly? In particular have you set the ip address in the configuration to 10.0.1.1?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby fred7 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:50 pm

What do you mean about configuring the ip address 10.0.1.1?, where is that configuration needed?

EDIT: The thing is that it is not being recognized by the lejos control tool(outside of eclipse), so i doubt that there is a problem with the plugin.

EDIT 2: I tried connecting with putty and it is working, i am able to see the directories inside the brick.
fred7
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:56 am

In which case your USB stuff is all working. I'm not that familiar with the eclipse plugin, or the other PC tools as I tend not to use them. I suggest you post a new thread with a title that describe the problems you are having and hope that another team member or user can help. The eclipse plugin needs to know the ip address of your EV£ you can clearly see the configuration in the tutorial:
http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Ins ... %20plugin/
See the field called "connect to named brick".
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby fred7 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:26 am

I will try configuring the ip in the eclipse plugin when i get home, i didnt noticed that detail in the tutorial :(

But, when i start the "EV3Control tool" provided with leJOS (the one in the windows start menu), it doesnt work, is this tool somewhat related to the eclipse plugin or is a standalone tool that works without eclipse?

Again, thank you for your time.
fred7
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 am

As I said I'm not that familiar with the PC tools. One other thing you may want to try is to disable any firewall you may have. These tools use UDP to locate the EV3 and it may be that your firewall is preventing that from working.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Mon May 05, 2014 9:58 am

EV3Control is independent of the Eclipse plugin. In what ways does it not work? If the search button produces no results, then, as Andy says, your firewall is probably blocking UDP for java.exe or javaw.exe. You can try typing the IP address in the name box and pressing Connect.

The Eclipse plugin has several options for how to connect to the EV3. It uses UDP if you do not specify an IP address for your EV3 in the preferences. It has an option to use ssh/scp instead of relying on the menu running. That option does not use UDP.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby fred7 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:06 am

Yes the brick is not being recognized in the PC tool, im gonna try your suggestions when i get home and report back, thank you very much.
fred7
New User

Postby fred7 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeeees, it is working now, the cause of the problem was the firewall(you were right lawrie), once i disabled the firewall it started working perfectly. Also got it working in eclipse after i configured the brick's ip address(thanks gloommyandy). May i suggest a little modification for the Plugin Installing tutorial? Maybe you guys can mention the IP address configuration(i know it appears in the screenshot, but the text instructions dont say anything about it), just to give it more visibility.

Thank you gloommyandy and lawrie for your help, i look forward to developing in this great platform :D
fred7
New User

Return to EV3 Software