Installation Problem

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Installation Problem

Postby simpligility » Sun May 04, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi!

I am trying to install LeJOS from a Mac. I copy ejre-7u55-fcs-b13-linux-arm-sflt-headless-17_mar_2014.gz and extracted image from leJOS_EV3_0.8.1-beta.tar.gz to an SD card.

When I start up the EV3 the first time it proceeds throw the install. First time it hung at Installing Modules but the second time it proceeded past that yet never went to a stage where there is a menu or something. When I restart the brick it also just stays at the lejos logo and the lights on the brick stay red.

What can I do to troubleshoot this? The only thing I can think of atm that might be a problem is that I am using a 64GB micro sd, since thats all I got laying around. The install went past the formatting and partiontioning and the rootfs setup and so on so I assume its fine. But maybe not... should I get a smaller card or are there other things I should investigate first?

Thx

Manfred
simpligility
New User

Re: Installation Problem

Postby gloomyandy » Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 am

Please see the many other threads on install issues for hints on things to try...
1. Reformat the card and start the process again.
2. Make sure you safely eject the card when you finish copying files to it.
I have never seen an ev3 stop at installing modules, so there is something strange going on. If none of this works then yes try another card.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby simpligility » Mon May 12, 2014 1:37 am

I got a smaller card and it worked like a charm. So warning to others.. dont bother with a 64GB card.
simpligility
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed May 14, 2014 3:50 pm

simpligility wrote:I got a smaller card and it worked like a charm. So warning to others.. dont bother with a 64GB card.

It must have been an SDXC card, right? The EV3 is known to have an SDHC compatible slot only. If the card works reliable at all, most likely only the first 32GB were accessible to the EV3.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Grumpy_Mike » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:32 pm

skoehler wrote:
simpligility wrote:I got a smaller card and it worked like a charm. So warning to others.. dont bother with a 64GB card.

It must have been an SDXC card, right? The EV3 is known to have an SDHC compatible slot only. If the card works reliable at all, most likely only the first 32GB were accessible to the EV3.

Well I had the same problem with a 32GB Samsumg class 10 HC card. It stuck at the installing modules stage.
Then I tried it with a 4GB class 4 HC card. It installed completely, then it said that it was restarting. I got the 5 4 3 2 1 countdown and then it just powered up in the normal Lego brick system.

Examining the card with Disk Utility ( this is a Mac ) I found a 500MB partition and an unmounted "didk2s2" partition.
All attempts at rebooting the brick just resulted in the normal EV3 software coming up.

All the files are as described in the instructions.

Any ideas?
Grumpy_Mike
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:58 pm

If it is just booting the standard firmware then the FAT32 partition and/or the linux kernel on it is damaged. I would reformat the card (use the sd500.img file if needed), you basically need a simple fat32 file system on the sd card. Then try it again.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Oh and always make sure that the sd card is "safely ejected" from the Mac/PC before removing it. I always wait a short time after doing this as well, as there sometimes seems to be activity after the "safe to remove" message.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Grumpy_Mike » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks third time lucky. I used the sd500.img file and the SD formater application for good measure and that seemed to do the trick. Previously I had used Apples Disc Utility so it looks like that does not work. I just double clicked the the sd500.img file and nothing seemed to happen but I guess that is how you use it.

Just a note there never has been any "safe to remove" message on any Mac, even the first one in 1984 just got on and ejected a disk.

Now the next battle to see leJOS can actually control the motors precisely. Something the the BrickPi fails spectacularly to do.
Thanks again.
Grumpy_Mike
New User

Postby Heiko1109 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:03 am

i have the problem on my brick, that i see the lejos logo after the installing from the sd car.

but thats all, no menu, no sound, nothing....and after ca 15 seconds my brick turn off :( :( :( :(
Heiko1109
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:40 am

Have you tried reformatting the card (using the sd500.img file) and trying the install again? Sounds like you have a corrupt FAT32 file system. Please make sure you are using the correct type of card and that you eject it safely from your PC when removing it.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby HeikoKopp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 am

my brick has the problem after installing the card (32GB 4HC) i see 5 4 3 2 1 then restart, after restart i see lejos logo and freeze and left from the "L" from lejos an "-"
and nothing then after 30minutes i turn batterie oof.
what can i do? (safty sdcard , have i do)
HeikoKopp
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 am

What does 32gb 4hc mean? Do you mean it's a 32GB class 4 sdhc card?
What you can do is to reformat the SD card and then try again. I would recommend using the sd500.img image file to reformat the card.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby HeikoKopp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 am

yes it is the sdcard name.
how i can format the card with the img ?
HeikoKopp
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:17 am

HeikoKopp wrote:how i can format the card with the img ?

Use this tool: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby HeikoKopp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 am

oh wow cool it stars nice.

thx all for help :)

now can install the all my bricks
HeikoKopp
New User

Return to EV3 Software