leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

Postby boom_f15 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 pm

So Im new to Mindstorms (and robotics in general) but I do have some limited Java experience, so leJOS is intriguing, but it also looks like more work to get it going then just using Legos' software.

Can someone sell me the benefits of using a different language for my Mindstorms? Basically I think I just haven't done enough to stretch the limits of the software so I just looking for ideas to justify expanding my new addiction.

Thanks for your replies
boom_f15
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:10 pm

boom_f15 wrote:So Im new to Mindstorms (and robotics in general) but I do have some limited Java experience, so leJOS is intriguing, but it also looks like more work to get it going then just using Legos' software.

It will get easier to set up leJOS for the EV3 in the next release. Once you have it on an SD card you can swap easily between leJOS and the Lego software.

boom_f15 wrote:Can someone sell me the benefits of using a different language for my Mindstorms? Basically I think I just haven't done enough to stretch the limits of the software so I just looking for ideas to justify expanding my new addiction.

Some reasons for using leJOS are:

1) You get fed up with the slow tedious ways you have to create programs with the standard LEGO software. I am sure it is fine for young kids getting started, but for anything a little complicated using a visual programming language is hard work. It is not real programming.

2) You want more control over your robot. The motor control in leJOS, for example, is more accurate.

3) You want to do things that the Lego software can't do. Communication with NXT robots for example.

4) You want a fun way to learn Java programming.

5) You want to communicate with programs on the PC, across the Internet, etc.

6) You want to communicate with other devices. A Leap Motion controller, for example. Or a GPS device. Or a Raspberry Pi with a camera. Or an application on your phone.

7) You want to a real industry-leading Integrated Development environment like Eclipse.

8. You want to make use of one of the many open source Java projects. For example, you want a web server on the EV3. Or a chess-playing program.

9. You want to access to third party sensors that the LEGO software doesn't support.

10. You need to process sensor data, Filter it, chart it etc. All hard with the LEGO software, and easy with leJOS.

There are so many reasons its hard to imagine why EV3 users use anything else.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby boom_f15 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:48 pm

... so not much difference then. :D

Thanks for the reply, I'm sold!
boom_f15
New User

Postby jackhogan11 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 am

I CANNOT get EV3 to work with 8.1 beta lejos. (I have Windows 8 ).

I downloaded the JDK, the LEJOS 8.1 Beta, the Java 7 version of the oracle file and Eclipse.

Eclipse seems to be working. I was able to import the sample EV3 project. I am not sure if it needs to be in a special directory.

When I set up my microSD card, which is a sandisk 16GB that I ran format from the file explorer. I brought over the zip file and copied the zip file and unzipped it. That didn't seem to bring the files to the root directory so I moved the extracted files to the root. Then I brought over the .gz file. I have a netgear n150 dongle.

When I try to boot the ev3 the keypad goes red and the screen just says "Starting". I left it for an hour and it never changed. I tried booting while connected via USB it did the same thing.

I do not have a lot of experience with Java, I am 10 years old. I would really appreciate any advice as I have been working on this for about 5 hours already and I cant get it to work.
PLEASE HELP!

Jack
jackhogan11
New User

Postby dareius1961 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:11 am

gloomyandy wrote:The connections are via WiFi. You can also you a USB ethernet dongle. At some point we will probably want to be able to download and run code via Bluetooth and USB. The good news is that you will probably need to do this for other non Lego languages that run on the NXT, so it may well be that someone else will add that capability.

I don't think it is really very feasible to work on stuff without having an EV3. Probably best to spend the next month or so exploring the Lego code and docs and the initial leJOS code.

Hi all, I'm new at this forum, and not a good Java programmer :( So, please be kind if I ask something off topic. WiFi connection works fine, but it's a bit battery-critical. As far as you know, a simple USB connection has been developed by "someone else"?

Thanx,
Dario
dareius1961
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:48 am

The post (of mine) that you quoted is very old (as is this thread, not your fault someone else posted to it recently). Yes you can use USB instead of WiFi. See the following threads for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6945
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6971
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby dareius1961 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:39 pm

gloomyandy wrote:The post (of mine) that you quoted is very old (as is this thread, not your fault someone else posted to it recently). Yes you can use USB instead of WiFi. See the following threads for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6945
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6971

Thanx a lot. Now it works perfectly also with the USB cable.
Dario
dareius1961
New User

Previous

Return to EV3 Software