EV3 /dev/lms_xxx

This is where you talk about the EV3 hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

EV3 /dev/lms_xxx

Postby epascual » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Hello,

leJOS is great as usual :)

I just started exploring the EV3 by other tracks than the LEGO graphical environment (I have only Linux machines by the way, and could not have it run under Wine), and you guys have just made an amazing job. Providing us an open environment into which I can ssh and write code, in Java, but also in any other tools such as shell, Python (I've tried the poc, and it's very promising too) is just enormous :) Tons of kudos and thanks for all the people who have contributed to this.

For curiosity's sake, I'm presently looking for documentation about the various lms_xx device files, and especially which values and format are used for them. For instance I could play with the LEDs by writing the various patterns ids (0,...) in /dev/lms_ui, but reading buttons is another story. I've tried the hard way by browsing LMS sources, but... you see what I mean :/ And Google has not be very helpful neither (or I didn't use the right request).

So thanks in advance for any pointer on this topic.

And BTW, what does "LMS" stand for ? "Lego Mindstorms System/Software" ?

Best regards

Eric
Eric PASCUAL - POBOT association VP & co-founder - http://www.pobot.org
epascual
Active User

Re: EV3 /dev/lms_xxx

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Sorry I don't think there really is much information available other than browsing the source code. The leJOS source code may be easier to make sens of than the Lego code as we have picked out just the parts that you really need for straight forward access. Most of the devices use a mixture of ioctls and shared memory to control them...

good luck

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby epascual » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks Andy for your quick reply. It confirms my feeling that browsing the leJOS code would be more productive (BTW I already started).

And what about my question about the meaning of the "LMS" acronym ?

Eric
epascual
Active User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 am

I think it is Lego Mindstorms System, but then there are probably as many views on that as there are on how to pronounce leJOS...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby epascual » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 am

gloomyandy wrote:but then there are probably as many views on that as there are on how to pronounce leJOS...
:D
epascual
Active User

Postby celanba » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 pm

gloomyandy wrote:I think it is Lego Mindstorms System, but then there are probably as many views on that as there are on how to pronounce leJOS...

Good guess. I asked the LEGO support team to confirm your guess, and it was close: LEGO(R) Mindstorms.

I don't know how to write the special character for "Registered trademark", which is the reason I've written (R). It should be: "®" or "®".
celanba
New User

Return to EV3 Hardware