Short Bug Report

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: Short Bug Report

Postby lawrie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Roger, I will look at your issues with EV3Control. It was rather stupid of me not to remember that your problem could be caused by not having rebooted the EV3, as I found that problem when I was testing the 0.6.0 release, but decided to release it anyway and fix the problem later. I then forgot about it. The issue is that when you configure Wifi I do not restart the Java RMI registry, so it is still using the 10.0.1.1 address and not the Wifi address until you reboot. I will try to remember to fix this before the next release. It needs a bit of investigation on the best fix.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Roger, On your issues with EV3Control:

1. Another user mentioned that motor D does not work. I will fix that.
2. I saw the problem that you are getting on port 2 during testing of the remote API, but never investigated it. I am not sure it is a hard problem on port 2, but more likely some other intermittent problem, possibly due to the port already in use. I will investigate it.
3. I am not sure the Wifi stuff is a lot of use in EV3Control. It just does what you can do from the menu. The only advantage of doing the configuration from the PC is that it is easier to type in the pass phrase. But to use it, it you would need to connect via USB or Bluetooth, and then configure Wifi.

As I said on another thread, EV3Control is a bit experimental, and any feedback on useful things that it could do would be helpful.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi Lawrie,
It seems to me that the remote API, particularly the remote motor stuff, is pretty low priority. The EV3 has enough computer power and memory so that robots built around it can (and should) be largely autonomous. It is a bad idea to Introduce a data transmission delay into control loops such as the motor regulator, line tracking using light sensor or straight line travel over uneven terrain using the gyro sensor. I would be just as happy if the remote API did not appear in the EV3 project. It would eliminate some of the problems reported on the forum.
Cheers,
Roger
roger

Postby lawrie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi Roger, I see your view on remote control APIs have not changed :D

The version of the remote API that EV3Control for motors creates the regulated motor class on the EV3, so the regulator runs locally.

Remote access APIs seem to be popular, and they are mainly working, so I don't plan to remove them, despite most of the leJOS developers not liking them. People seem to like to use them for testing and their first robots.

It is is bit like the recent Darpa Robotics Challenge. This year the teams used a lot of remote control. Next year they have to do it all autonomously.

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby saturn_at_sky » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi, leJOS Team,

I have installed the 0.8.1 beta without any problems.
But there is a change in the behaviour of the Display.
A System.out.println("xxx") is now shown in the Display.
It is not possible to clear it with LCD.clear().
Is this a new functionality or unfortunately a bug?

regards
saturn_at_sky
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:42 pm

This is new functionality. There are now three screen overlays, the original graphics screen plus one for stdout and one for stderr. You can select which one(s) are displayed by using pressing the left and right buttons at the same time. By default all three are displayed.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Previous

Return to EV3 Software