Connect from Eclipse to EV3 doesn't work

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Connect from Eclipse to EV3 doesn't work

Postby MetalJulien » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi there

I just started with leJOS and wanted to connect my Eclipse to the EV3. The EV3 is connected to the same WIFI Router as my computer now is, both with a WIFI Dongle. The EV3 hqas the IP 10.0.1.24.
Now, I set the option "Connect to named brick" under Window > Preferences to that IP. When I try to run or debug,

Jar file has been created successfully
Using the EV3 menu for upload and to execute program
Creating the jar file or uploading the program failed
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 10.0.1.24; nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
Caused by java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
See Eclipse error log for detailed stack trace.

Please help me :/ Why can't I connect.
MetalJulien
New User

Re: Connect from Eclipse to EV3 doesn't work

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:43 pm

You will have problems with that address because by default the EV3 is setup to use the 10.0.1.* subnet for USB communication, this will be clashing with your WiFi sub-net. You have two choices.
* Change the address used by your WiFi system.
* Change the subnet used by the EV3 for USB.
Changing the EV3 address may need you to re-install the SD card. See the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6944&p=24998&hilit=change+ip+address#p24998

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby MetalJulien » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I exactly did that: I created a file with "192.168.1.2" in it. Now on my EV3, the first line says that IP, the second line still says 10.0.1.24. What am I doing wrong that it doesn't change?
MetalJulien
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 pm

That is correct you have changed the IP address for USB (the top line), the Ip address for WiFi (the second line) is controlled by your router. So you should now no longer have a clash. Are you saying that you can still not connect? If so then you need to check things like firewalls on your PC and your eclipse settings, can you ping your EV3? Can you ssh to it (using address 10.0.1.24 if that is the address of your EV3). What is the IP address of your PC?

Oh and why did you choose 192.168.1.2? Why not 192.168.1.1?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby roger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:11 pm

I can connect from Eclipse to my brick by using Window->Preferences ->leJOS EV3 and select the box Use ssh and scp. If that is not checked, then the other selecting the box “Connect to the named brick “ and filling the WiFi address for name does not work, and gives the following
"Using the EV3 menu for upload and to execute program
java.lang.Exception: No EV3 Found: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out"
A confusing feature of the plugin is that a run configuration menu is also reachable by selecting either a project or a java file the following the links (right click) Run as -> Run Configuration. But this menu does not have the option to select ssh and scp.
Is anyone able to upload using the EV3 menu instead of ssh an scp?
Roger
roger

Postby roger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:14 pm

I can connect from Eclipse to my brick by using Window->Preferences ->leJOS EV3 and select the box "Use ssh and scp". If that is not checked, then the selecting the box “Connect to the named brick “ and filling the WiFi address for name does not work, and gives the following
"Using the EV3 menu for upload and to execute program
java.lang.Exception: No EV3 Found: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out"
A confusing feature of the plugin is that a run configuration menu is also reachable by selecting either a project or a java file the following the links (right click) Run as -> Run Configuration. But this menu does not have the option to select ssh and scp.
Is anyone able to upload using the EV3 menu instead of ssh an scp?
Roger
roger

Return to EV3 Software