Lejos on EV3 open network

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Lejos on EV3 open network

Postby raybo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:30 pm

I run a network that's mac filtered but otherwise open (I have some pretty old test equipment that doesn't do wpa.) I can't connect to the EV3 and I assume that's because there's the assumption that wpa is being run. Under the wireless menu I found my access point and pressed "D" when asked for a password, but I eventually get a bunch of "discovering" messages and failure. I've added the mac address to my router and the brick is seen and assigned an IP when it's running with the default "brick" OS. Is there some way to configure leJOS to run on an open network? Sorry if this is a common question, I tried to use about every single search term I could think of and couldn't find anything relevant.
raybo
New User

Re: Lejos on EV3 open network

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:15 pm

You can upload a wpa_supplicant file to the root directory of the fat32 part of your sdcard when you create the leJOS bootable image. That is probably your best bet.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby raybo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:36 am

I'm not used to using the supplicant file, what should I put in it in order to get the system to run over an open network? I thought the supplicant file was only needed if you wanted to run on a wpa network.
raybo
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:01 am

Sorry I would never use an open network, so have never investigated it, but googling "wpa_supplicant open network" brings up the following:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/us ... licantconf

Good luck

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby raybo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks Andy, I had found a similar reference that said PROT=RSA. That didn't make a lot of sense to me since you'd have wpa2 protocol but no key management.
Anyway,
network={
ssid="YourSSIDName"
key_mgmt=NONE
}

Works just fine on an open network. You don't need to rebuild the SDcard if you have a working one and a USB/bluetooth connection. Just edit lejos/bin/utils/wpa_supplicant.conf and reboot.
raybo
New User

Return to EV3 Software