Hardware Requirement to flash Lejos?

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Postby jack_simmons » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:05 pm

Are there special hardware requirements for lejos? We have tried several computers and only one will flash the NXT with lejos. We are able to flash the baseline NXT firmware via LEGOS' dialog. But, when we try lejos, we get a "NXT not found" error message.

The instructions in the text are followed exactly when we install lejos software on the main computer. The software begins to run but then insists that the NXT is not found. This is after we have flashed the baseline NXT firmware.

Thank you for any insights you can offer.
jack_simmons
New User

Postby bbagnall » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:52 pm

You need to tell us what type of operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, etc...)

Are you following the instructions in the readme? It sounds like you might not have installed libusb. Normally this is installed automatically by the batch file, but not if you have Windows Vista.

Windows Vista isn't supported by libusb yet so that might be a problem.
Last edited by bbagnall on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby jack_simmons » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:53 pm

We followed the ReadMe file and libusb is installed.

According to system properties, we have the following installed also:

- WinXP-Pro v2002 sp2
- AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 2.08ghz, 512mb

This is the most recent machine we have tried. Baseline NXT will flash but Lejos will not, giving an NXT not found.

Thank you for your discussion on this matter.
jack_simmons
New User

Colleague having same problem

Postby jack_simmons » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:08 pm

My colleague is having the same problem, working independently. They tried to flash lejos without success. Then they reflashed baseline NXT. On a lark, they then tried to flash lejos again. Lejos flashed on that second try. I've not had any success with the flash-reflash-flash process.

We had thought lejos would make a good system for programming NXT as a technology demonstrator. However, we are concerned about reliable and definable installation and operation.
jack_simmons
New User

Postby jack_simmons » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Recommend anyone having trouble getting the text's and readme file's flash process to work reliably follow the tutorial at http://www.bartneck.de/work/education/m ... index.html.

This tutorial is extremely detailed and includes information not found elsewhere. There are traps that need to be avoided that one might never think of otherwise.
jack_simmons
New User

Postby 99jonathan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Yea, my computer was totally not working at all. I then REINSTALLED libusb to another directory (still without spaces). Then I reflashed the lego firmware, and then the lejos firmware worked.
99jonathan

Postby bbagnall » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:19 pm

jack_simmons wrote:Recommend anyone having trouble getting the text's and readme file's flash process to work reliably follow the tutorial at http://www.bartneck.de/work/education/m ... index.html.

This tutorial is extremely detailed and includes information not found elsewhere. There are traps that need to be avoided that one might never think of otherwise.

Jack, out of curiosity did you solve the problems you were having and what were they? Two traps you might have had were the space in the Program Files for libusb (this isn't a problem for me and most people, but for some bizarre reason it's a factor for others). And sometimes people don't hold down the paper clip for a full 5 seconds.
Last edited by bbagnall on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby CraigMcCahill » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:55 pm

If it is any use to anyone I had the same problem on a Windows machine and resolved it by following jonathan99's advise and unistalling LibUSB and reinstalling in a directory without any spaces in the path - in my case straight onto my C drive.

I also reflashed first with Lego.

I worked fine after that :D
CraigMcCahill
New User

Postby paulclinger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:16 am

I've got libUSB working under Vista, but it wasn't the "directory without spaces". What fixed the issue for me was using 0.1.10.1 version of the driver rather than the latest 0.1.12.1. I currently have it installed under "Program Files" without any issues (Vista Business SP1)

Paul.
paulclinger
New User

nxj and vista

Postby raph » Sat May 03, 2008 5:20 pm

I can confirm that LibUSB-Win32-0.1.10.1 installed in compatibility mode (xp sp2) is ok to flash nxt with lejos jvm

hop it helps

raph
raph
New User

Return to NXJ Hardware