Can't download firmware using lejosfirmdl

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Can't download firmware using lejosfirmdl

Postby wleue » Tue May 15, 2007 8:59 pm

I am having trouble downloading the leJOS firmware to my NXT. I am running Windows XP and I do have all admin privileges. After I reset the NXT brick, it is making the required pulsing noise. After starting lejosfirmdl from a command window, I get the following error message:

tower not responding.

However, if I then use the standard NXT-G software to update the firmware, it updates fine. This indicates to me that the NXT brick, the USB cable, etc are working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Bill Leue
wleue
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed May 16, 2007 9:02 am

lejosfirmdl is for the RCX for the NXT.

You do not download firmware with the current version of lejos NXJ - you use lejosdl to download and run Java programs. lejosdl downloads the Java VM and the Java program, which runs in RAM. The NXT stays in firmware update mode.

The next version of lejos NXJ will have a tool to flash new firmware.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby wleue » Thu May 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Interesting. This means that the new book "Maximum LEGO NXT: Building Robots with Java Brains" is WAY off when it comes to describing how to install Lejos for NXT. I wonder if anyone from the Lejos team feels like talking to the authors.

The misinformation I was following is on page 29.

-Bill Leue
wleue
New User

Postby rasca » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:31 pm

wleue wrote:Interesting. This means that the new book "Maximum LEGO NXT: Building Robots with Java Brains" is WAY off when it comes to describing how to install Lejos for NXT. I wonder if anyone from the Lejos team feels like talking to the authors.
The misinformation I was following is on page 29.
-Bill Leue

Yes it's right... The right information on how to do the firmware update are in the README.html file that is in the lejos_nxj directory which says that the correct command is nxjflash instead of lejosfirmdl.

Bye,

--
RaSca
rascasoft@tiscali.it
rasca
New User

Return to NXJ Software