REQ: next lejos (pre-release) build for university usage

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

REQ: next lejos (pre-release) build for university usage

Postby MacGreg » Tue May 08, 2007 6:19 am

Dear leJOS developers,

First of all a huge thank you for your work on LeJos!

I'm a student of computer science at the University of Paderborn in Germany. (www.upb.de) With Lego NXT bricks we shall realize a high rise rack repository that was previously built using RCX bricks. We had great plans on how to implement the project, unfortunately we noticed yesterday that the bluetooth functionality of Lejos is still in its early stages.

That's why I'd like to ask if you could please supply us a pre-release build of your upcoming Lejos build.

Sincerely yours,

MacGreg

PS: Feel free to contact me via e-mail should there be any questions..
MacGreg
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed May 09, 2007 5:52 pm

We haven't added much to Bluetooth support lately.

What is it you need to do?
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby MacGreg » Mon May 14, 2007 8:57 am

hey lawrie,

we need the NXTs to communicate with each other, however the API says that most functions we'd need aren't implemented yet :(
MacGreg
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed May 16, 2007 9:28 am

I have been a bit slow doing NXT to NXT communication as I only have one NXT.

I may be getting another one in the next few days (if Lego send me a replacement, as Sound has stopped working on my current one).

I will make NXT to NXT Bluetooth communication higher priority as a few people seem to be waiting for it.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby imaqine » Wed May 16, 2007 6:41 pm

@ lawrie

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the priority list of things that need to be implemented? If you cannot divulge I understand.
imaqine

Postby lawrie » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Right now, I am doing most of the leJOS NXJ development. Brian Bagnall and Roger Glassey are also working on the Java parts of it. Charles Manning is our real expert on the ARM chip and device drivers in C and assembler. He has been working on other things for the last few months, but will hopefully be available again soon.

My priority list is:

1. Make the flash version of leJOS NXJ work on all NXTs. It currently works on some, but not others. I don't know why, as it works on mine.
2. Java PC Tools. Currently we have a prototype file explorer, and a program upload (and run) command line utility (nxjupload, that replaces lejosdl).
3. PC USB and Bluetooth comms to support the Java tools. I am currently working on comms drivers for Windows and Linux that use the Bluecove Bluetooth Java JSR-82 API implementation, libusb, the Lego Fantom driver, and the Linux Bluez stack.
4. Improved I2C comms including I2C writes (I am hoping Charles Manning will work on this). This is needed to support I2C devices such as multiplexers. We can add Java classes for a lot more third-party I2C devices when we have this.
5. Improved Lego Communications Protocol support for the PC tools, and iCommand.
6. StartUp Menu that supports Bluetooth and USB. The current one just supports USB program upload, and you have to run BTRespond for Bluetooth support.
7. User program comms support over Bluetooth and USB, including NXT to NXT Bluetooth comms, using streams.
8. More complete and robust file system. Brian has implemented the file system in Java. It currently has a few limitations, such as only one file open at a time.
9. Playing sound files, and volume control for sound.
10. Better, faster graphics support, including image files.
11. Performance improvements. Some things like the way the display is updated mean that leJOS NXJ could be much faster. Its currently a lot slower than RobotC.
12. Midlet for controlling lejos robots from mobile phones and other mobile devices over Bluetooth. I have a very simple one working.
13. PC comms proxy to allow control of robots running lejos from web sites, etc.
14. CompassPilot and CompassNavigator.
15. Garbage collection.
16. Java Runnable interface, without subclassing Thread.
17. More robust device drivers: AVR (for motors and sensors), USB, Bluetoooth could all do with some improvment.
18. High speed comms. Port 4 on the NXT has hardware support for high-speed NXT to NXT comms.
19. Running a subset of the MIDP J2ME API on lejos - i.e midlets. This is probably the best way to support a graphical menu system.
20. Eclipse plug-in. I don't have this as very high priority as I use clipse successfully for leJOS program development, without a plugin.
21. Visual programming for leJOS. I currently have a prototype of an equivalent of NXT-G that supports behavior programming, navigators, etc.
22. Remote debugging. I would like to have remote debugging in the style of RobotC.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby imaqine » Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks for the response. It is always good to know how things are going with leJOS. To help reduce questions of this nature it might be a good idea to create a sticky with this list in it (or a link to this thread). This will allow the community to have an idea of what is in mind for leJOS and if they feel like they are able to help develop something on the list then it might work as a motivator. Just a thought.
imaqine

Return to NXJ Software