WANTED: Developer for LCD Graphics (100% Java)

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

WANTED: Developer for LCD Graphics (100% Java)

Postby bbagnall » Tue May 22, 2007 9:21 pm

Task: LCD graphics programming
Programming skills: Java
Skill: Novice

We are looking for a developer to work on LCD graphics in leJOS NXJ. Currently the Graphics class has many of the standard Java graphics commands but it is still missing some, like the fillArc() method. If you are interested in adding more methods to the Graphics class, please email me or reply in this message.

For this task you are not required to create a Sourceforge ID or set up any tools. To make development easier, this class can be developed as a septate class outside the jar, then added to leJOS when it is done. When you have some code ready, send it to one of the developers and it will be checked in for you. We hope this will make it easier to develop code since in the past our volunteers seemed to lose their motivation when they had to set up development tools first.

Eventually we would like to fill out the javax.microedition.lcdui package with widgets (like a battery widget) and other graphical elements in the menu system (it is currently text only). This will require the addition of classes like Panel, etc...

Feel free to reply to this message with questions or comments.
Last edited by bbagnall on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby dougnukem » Wed May 23, 2007 1:10 pm

I'd be interested in this project. Let me know where to start I just grabbed the classes project from the SVN trunk.

I'll hack around with it for a couple nights to see if I'd be able to tackle the task in my free time.
dougnukem
New User

Postby bbagnall » Wed May 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Thanks, Doug. Give the Graphics class a try (make an instance of Graphics) and try out some of the existing methods like line, rectangle, ellipse, etc... They draw very nicely. We want this to mimic the methods in javax.microedition.lcdui.Graphics, so check out that API for the missing methods like fillArc(). When you have something ready, let me know.

One thing the real API does that ours doesn't is drawing dashed lines. That would be a nice feature. Try to go easy on memory usage, though, as we don't want this to be a pig, so reuse existing methods when possible.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Update

Postby bbagnall » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:16 am

Update: This task is still open to anyone who is interested. You don't even have to tell us you are working on it. Just give it a try and once you have something let us know.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby bbagnall » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Update: Andre Nijholt supplied a fillArc() and dotted line functionality.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Interested in Developing:where are non-bin source files?

Postby boozer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:56 am

I am very interested in trying this out as well as fleshing-out the sound API. Forgive me if this is a total newbie question but...
Where can I find the original class source files (non-byteCode/uncompiled etc.) to use as a starting example?

Thanks in advance,
Boozer
boozer
New User

Postby bbagnall » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi Boozer. They're located in the leJOS NXJ download in the src\java directory.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby bbagnall » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Just an update: It looks like Andre Nijholt is making some progress on the javax.microedition.lcdui package (Form, Font, widgets, etc...) so I'm just putting this out there in case anyone else is doing some duplicate work.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby bbagnall » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm

We now have a great graphics class thanks to Andre! It will show up in the next leJOS NXJ release. I'll unsticky this thread now.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Return to NXJ Software