Please help me get some ideas?

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Please help me get some ideas?

Postby KennyMcCormick » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 pm

I have a competition at my school regarding robots, can you help me?

What is the maximum battery voltage of the NXT?

Also can I have some ideas?
Pfmmmmfmfpmf Fppmffmpppfffmmppmmmm mppmmmfmpfmm pfmppfppfpfm!
KennyMcCormick
New User

Postby lawrie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:57 am

What do you mean by the maximum battery voltage? Do you mean the voltage the batteries supply to the NXT, or the voltage the NXT supplies to sensors and motors? If you put fresh batteries in the NXT, you can get a reading of abouts 10 volts, although it is nominally 9 volts. I use the LEGO battery pack. When that is fully charged it delivers about 8.2 volts. I think the maximum voltage supplied to sensors and Motors is 5V, but I would have to check the hardware specs to be sure.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby KennyMcCormick » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Okay thanks. Is there any way to pick up coins from the ground with the robot. I tried magnets but they don't work.
Pfmmmmfmfpmf Fppmffmpppfffmmppmmmm mppmmmfmpfmm pfmppfppfpfm!
KennyMcCormick
New User

Postby lawrie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:25 pm

I haven't tried but I don't think it should be too hard to design a gripper that picks up coins. If you don't get enough grip from a standard plastic lego piece, you could try the rubber pieces that are often used for feet. Starting with a fixed size coin is probably easiest. Your biggest problem might be locating the coin and accurately positioning the gripper.

If this doesn't work you could try other methods like pushing them into a scoop.

Or you could use other metal disks, nails, screws or other things that can be picked up by magnets.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Hardware