Bluetooth Problems

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Bluetooth Problems

Postby Hardrive » Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm

I've got two problems. The first is, where do I find libicommandbluez.so? It's not in the .zip file.

Secondly, I've tried this through my computer (Linux Fedora Core 6, Windows XP Home) using this bluetooth adapter, and less importantly my Sony Ericson phone (using the NXT connect software). I can't get Bluetooth to work. I don't know if it's something that I'm doing wrong, or what.

So far, here's what I've tried:
1) Going to the bluetooth menu on the NXT
2) Searching for devices
3) It will find the device, either my computer or my phone
4) It will ask to select a device, I select it
5) It asks for a connection number, I have tried 1 2 and 3
6) It then says Connecting.... at the top of the screen
7) It usually just says "The Line is Busy". Sometimes, it will ask for a passcode, I just use the default 1234
8) It will pop up on my computer / phone, I type in 1234
9) The NXT will then say "The Line is Busy"

Yes, my PC, phone, and NXT are all set to bluetooth visible. Yes, I have the correct all of the required bluez tools installed on my Linux PC.

I have tried this on the NXT firmware versions 1.3 and 1.4.

I hope you can help me, this is driving me NUTS! I can't use iCommand without this.

Also, Brian, great book! I'm on the moon buggy right now, that's why I'm trying to get iCommand to work.
Hardrive
New User

Postby MeOl » Sat May 26, 2007 9:38 pm

tried googling for [mindstorms bluetooth "line is busy"] or [nxt "line is busy"]?
there are a lot of hints and tips...
i personaly don´t use the bluetooth connection, so if you already googled (correctly!), ignore my post..
MeOl
New User

Postby Hardrive » Sat May 26, 2007 10:16 pm

Ugh. I tried your suggested google searches for about 45 minutes. There has been much discussion on this issue, but it goes nowhere. Thanks for the advice though.

I'm starting to think, am I going about this wrong? To my understanding, to use iCommand, you must establish a connection using the NXT to your computer. Or is this wrong too?
Hardrive
New User

Postby Hardrive » Wed May 30, 2007 2:06 am

I still haven't got this to work.

Could somebody please help me?
Hardrive
New User

Postby imaqine » Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 am

Did you check your device manager to make sure that the bluetooth dongle was installed properly in XP? What did your search results tell you? I know I had trouble when I used iCommand (I have had lejos installed on my brick for sometime now) but I remember having issues with getting them to work together. Try only having only the NXT and the computer with bluetooth enabled and not your phone.

As for getting your phone to work - I am sure there are plenty of forums out there that can help you. Search for bluetooth + (your phone) connection issues.
imaqine

Postby Hardrive » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:58 am

imaqine wrote:Did you check your device manager to make sure that the bluetooth dongle was installed properly in XP?

Yes, and it's installed correctly in Linux too. But in reference to your question, device manager reads the dongle perfectly with the driver.
What did your search results tell you?

Nothing really, just that a lot of people have trouble with iCommand. I haven't see one answer yet, and I'd like to get to the bottom of this.
I know I had trouble when I used iCommand (I have had lejos installed on my brick for sometime now) but I remember having issues with getting them to work together.

Now maybe I'm going at this wrong. How exactly do I use iCommand? Do I install leJOS on my NXT and try to connect to my NXT from my computer? Or do I have the official NXT firmware and try to connect from my NXT to my computer?
Try only having only the NXT and the computer with bluetooth enabled and not your phone.

As for getting your phone to work - I am sure there are plenty of forums out there that can help you. Search for bluetooth + (your phone) connection issues.

I'm not really worried about the phone. I was just saying this because I'm beginning to believe that it's my NXT brick that's the problem, not my Bluetooth devices. I can't connect to any of them from the NXT.
Hardrive
New User

Postby imaqine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:53 pm

Now maybe I'm going at this wrong. How exactly do I use iCommand? Do I install leJOS on my NXT and try to connect to my NXT from my computer? Or do I have the official NXT firmware and try to connect from my NXT to my computer?

When I was using iCommand I had the original LEGO firmware installed on my NXT. From what I know of, the leJOS group is only in prelimary testing for bluetooth communication with the leJOS firmware and the iCommand package.

I can't really think of what else might be the problem unless there was an issue when you originally installed everything on your computer. You can always try to unless everything (the bluetooth dongle, etc) from your PC and reinstall them.
imaqine

Postby Hardrive » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:32 pm

imaqine wrote:

When I was using iCommand I had the original LEGO firmware installed on my NXT. From what I know of, the leJOS group is only in prelimary testing for bluetooth communication with the leJOS firmware and the iCommand package.

OK, so it sounds like I'm going about it correctly. Just one more point, do I setup the connection from my NXT, or from my PC?

I can't really think of what else might be the problem unless there was an issue when you originally installed everything on your computer. You can always try to unless everything (the bluetooth dongle, etc) from your PC and reinstall them.

I have actually recently done this (just a few days ago). Fedora Core 7 just came out, so I re-installed Fedora, and still, no luck.
Hardrive
New User

Postby imaqine » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:58 pm

OK, so it sounds like I'm going about it correctly. Just one more point, do I setup the connection from my NXT, or from my PC?

I started the connection from the PC and then confirmed it on the NXT I would say try each way (I assume you have already) and if that fails then perhaps search for issues connected with a bluetooth device with the specific dongle that you are using. Let me know how things go and I will try to help out as much as possible.
imaqine

Postby Hardrive » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:33 pm

I haven't had much time until now since my last post. I never got iCommand to work.

However, using lejos 0.3, trying to download files via bluetooth to the NXT gives me this error:
Code: Select all
[root@localhost Tune]# nxj -b Tune
Linking...
Uploading...
Error from open: Can't connect: Permission denied (13)
No NXT found - is it switched on and plugged in (for USB)?

Yes, it works through USB.
Hardrive
New User

Postby lawrie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 pm

On my Fedora Core 5 system, I have to switch to root and delete the whole directory for the NXT's Bluetooth address in /var/lib/bluetooth. After that, instead of getting the permission denied error, you should be prompted for the PIN. You should always user 1234 for the PIN. I have never got to the bottom of this problem.

If you want to pair the device and not be prompted for the PIN again you can use hcitool scan to get your NXTs address and connect to it with hcitool connect. After this the nxj tools should work without prompting for the PIN. I periodically have to delete the entry in /var/lib/bluetooth.

If anyone knows the correct solution to this, let me know.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby Hardrive » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:40 am

lawrie wrote:On my Fedora Core 5 system, I have to switch to root and delete the whole directory for the NXT's Bluetooth address in /var/lib/bluetooth. After that, instead of getting the permission denied error, you should be prompted for the PIN. You should always user 1234 for the PIN. I have never got to the bottom of this problem.

If you want to pair the device and not be prompted for the PIN again you can use hcitool scan to get your NXTs address and connect to it with hcitool connect. After this the nxj tools should work without prompting for the PIN. I periodically have to delete the entry in /var/lib/bluetooth.

If anyone knows the correct solution to this, let me know.

I'm on Fedora Core 7 (I think I mentioned that already), so hopefully your solution will work for me. I'm on vacation right now, when I come home tomorrow, I'll try it out and see how it works. Thanks for the tip :)
Hardrive
New User

Postby CoBB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:52 am

I'm having the same problem as Hardrive, but none of the possible fixes I found so far on the web would work. Scanning and inquiring work alright:

# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:16:53:03:EA:9D       NXT
# hcitool inq
Inquiring ...
        00:16:53:03:EA:9D       clock offset: 0x40e7    class: 0x000804

But I can't create a connection:

# hcitool cc 00:16:53:03:EA:9D
Can't create connection: Input/output error

This is while I'm in the file menu, using the 3.0 release.
CoBB
Novice

Postby Hardrive » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:39 pm

I am still having the same problems. As suggested, I went into the /var/lib/bluetooth directory, and deleted the entry for the NXT (it was actually the only thing in the bluetooth folder).

I then tried to connect to the NXT by using the nxjbrowse. Here's what happened:
[root@localhost ~]# nxjbrowse

I then tried uploading one of the sample programs, Tune.
[root@localhost Tune]# nxj -b Tune
Linking...
Uploading...
No NXT found - is it switched on and plugged in (for USB)?

Yeah, that's the same thing that happened last time :(.

I then tried hcitool.
[root@localhost ~]# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:16:53:03:78:2A       NXT
[root@localhost ~]# hcitool cc 00:16:53:03:78:2A
Can't create connection: Input/output error

All these bluetooth attempts were made at the main menu of the lejos 0.3 release.

I haven't rebooted after deleting the contents of the bluetooth folder, I'm going to try that right now, but I doubt that's going to help. So CoBB, I think we're both in the same boat.
Hardrive
New User

Postby lawrie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm

For me, deleting the directory in the bluetooth folder clears the Input/Output error.

Try it again and see if the hcitool cc then works.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Next

Return to NXJ Hardware