Any teachers using LeJOS in classroom?

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Any teachers using LeJOS in classroom?

Postby herman2992 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:20 pm

I am considering creating a high school Java Programing course using LeJOS, and the NXT Robotics Kit (for the fun of it).

Any teachers out there already using the combination?
herman2992
New User

Teaching Java with NXT

Postby juju » Thu May 31, 2007 1:59 am

I'm a cegep teacher in Quebec. I use this session NXT with Java to teach programming language to my student.
I'm French so I'm not too used to write in English, I apologize for all the mistakes I will make.
I think offer to M. Bagnall my works in French.
juju
New User

High School Course

Postby herman2992 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:49 pm

We currently have an Intro to Programming Course (mostly Basic, graphics) and an AP Computer Science (Java A) Course. Thinking of an Intermediate course that is 1/2 RobotC and 1/2 leJOS, or full year leJOS, to explore more advanced programming on the way perhaps to the AP course (college freshman level).

I've experimented the last three weeks of school with RobotC, four NXT sets, and a 5 foot by 8 foot maze built of 4x4's. The kids have written code to navigate the maze dead reckoning, light following, touch and sonar sensing.

Would prefer Java ... so awaiting the next leJOS release to proceed with my course design. Probably starting with finished, functional code, delete some critical portion(s) related to the unit we are studying, they learn to write the missing code structure, get the feedback of a functional robot.

Anyone have any ideas? Any books besides Brian's that have cool advanced robot designs that kids can write Java/leJOS code to implement?
herman2992
New User

Postby imaqine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:47 pm

Take a look at the link in my signature. I know you have to copy and paste the link but it speaks about the research I did last summer on intergrating leJOS into a course at Hope College in Holland, Michigan. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask!
imaqine

Anyone using the BlueJ teaching environment?

Postby jehall1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Anyone using the BlueJ teaching environment in conjunction with the leJOS to teach Java to your students?

If so, how well does it work in your classroom?

If not, is there any reason why this would not work? I am a newbie to leJOS, and am exploring using it as part of classroom activities.
jehall1
New User

Postby imaqine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:51 pm

With BlueJ I am not even sure you can change how you compile the java files. that is the biggest difference between java and lejos. Lejos using a different compiler which is why there is a different set of instructions on how to get Eclipse to work properly with lejos. I would think the Netbeans BlueJ version would be able to work better with lejos but this is just a thought. If you look into it and find that it is capable, let us know!

@jehall1

What course would you want to use leJOS in? CS1/2?
imaqine

Recommended IDE?

Postby jehall1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:43 am

Which IDE is recommended for use with leJOS?
jehall1
New User

Postby imaqine » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:52 pm

Eclipse seems to be the one that most people use and is what the book recommends.
imaqine

Postby the.drizzle » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:09 am

This past semester I used the RCX bricks and lejos for a unit of an engineering class at a polytechnic here in NZ, and I am planning on migrating to NXT bricks next year. On the whole, it's been a pretty good experience.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions you may have.
the.drizzle
New User

Return to NXJ Software