problems getting set up...

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

problems getting set up...

Postby the.drizzle » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:05 am

Hiya!

OK, I have decided to give lejos on the NXT a go after becoming quite impressed with it on the RCX. However, I am having a little trouble...

As a preliminary, I should mention that I am doing all of this on linux!

Moving along, the first problem I am having is that I cannot get lejosjc to work. The error I am getting every time is

Code: Select all
xxx.java:1: package lejos.nxt does not exist

meaning that I have clearly not set the $LEJOS_HOME variable correctly. So, and please be *very* explicit, how do I set this variable?

Second, and this is a bit worrying, I pressed the button on the NXT to go into firmware update mode and that's all good. However, I didn't quite realize that this would wipe the memory on the NXT. Now, I got this kit as an educational platform, meaning that I have no software for it. So, is there any way I can obtain the original lego image to put back on with, say, LiNXT? Maybe somebody could be so kind as to post an .tar.gz of the image? Otherwise, my employer may wonder why the new toy only sits there clicking...

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Ignore the first problem, there was a pointer conflict between the RCX and NXT versions of lejos. rm -r fixed that one nicely!

Now, about that default lego image...
the.drizzle
New User

Postby robatgisburn » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Hi

You can reload the original firmware from the Lego Mindstorms app (windows or Mac) Tools->Update Firmware

As to the variable setting, it depends which shell you are using

try

setenv $LEJOS_HOME = /wherever it is (may not need the = sign)
export $LEJOS_HOME

echo $LEJOS_HOME ; this should confirm the setting
Rob
robatgisburn
New User

Postby the.drizzle » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:55 pm

You can reload the original firmware from the Lego Mindstorms app (windows or Mac) Tools->Update Firmware

Uh, you'll note I said a) I'm using Linux, and b) I don't have the Mindstorms app anyway...

The problem really seems to be (after some hunting) that the driver fantom.dll doesn't seem to exist (yet) for linux, meaning I'm going to have to find a windows box to get the original firmware back on... Oh well, I guess what this means is that if I want to continue to switch back and forth between lejos and (most anything else) I'll have to set up a Windows partition. Drats!
the.drizzle
New User

downloading NXJ firmware

Postby gakawell » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 am

Hi. Slightly different subject here. I can't upload the NXJ firmware to the NXT because I don't understand where I'm supposed to type lejosfirmdl to begin the upload (it gives that instruction at the top of page 29 in the 'Maximum LEGO NXT' book). I can't find help anywhere, not even in the README. If someone could tell me where to type that, that would be great. Thanks!

PS: I'm using Windows
gakawell
New User

Re: downloading NXJ firmware

Postby roger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:01 am

If someone could tell me where to type that, that would be great. Thanks!

PS: I'm using Windows[/quote]
Open the command prompt window
roger

Return to NXJ Software