Putting Firmware on NXT

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Putting Firmware on NXT

Postby Lightbird67 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:40 am

Ok I know there has been many posts, but none really answer my question.

So, I am using the book "Maximum Lego NXT: Building Robots With Java Brains". It says "1. Reset by pressing the reset blah blah blah. 2. The NXT brick should make a soft pulsing sound blah blah blah." It is making the pulsing sound. "2. Plug in your USB cable and type "lejosfirmdl" without the quotes." Ok it never told me where to type this, but I looked online and found to type it in CMD. I type it in and on the CMD I get

'lejosfirmdl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I get that sentence and I don't know what to do. Obiviously I am using the Lego Mindstorms NXT and I have Windows XP. I don't know what I should do now, I can't figure out what to do.

Thanks everyone for any help.
Lightbird67
New User

Postby imaqine » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:09 pm

First off,

Welcome to the Forum! I hope it will provide you with all the information you are looking for.

As for your question, refer to this thread: http://lejos.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167&highlight=maximum+lego+nxt

Instead of using lejosfirmdl , which doesn't exist in this current distro, use the instructions that are in the readme document with the current distro.
imaqine

Postby theotherguy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:56 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I am sick of this. I have been having the exact same question and every thread I see on the subject points me towards a topic that doesn't exist.

I have absolutely no clue how to upload the firmware, or change environment variables.

And before you ask, yes I am a programmer and have programmed highly complex programs in java for the past four years, I just never use command lines or change environment variables. Why? Because I've never had to. I always use an IDE and it does it all for me.
theotherguy
New User

Postby imaqine » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:44 pm

I realize that there are posts that direct you to a nonexist thread. The thread was inadverantly deleted. If you use eclipse as your ide then this thread might be useful, http://lejos.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203. Furthermore if you are still having trouble getting eclipse to work then pm rudolphg. I never had a chance/need to use an ide with lejos.
imaqine

Postby boozer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:43 am

I've gotten this pile of software to work on two xpsp2 machines and one osx10.3.9 box. It ain't easy! However, if you really pay attention to the threads (try nxtasy) and the readme's you can do it.

1. lejosfirmdl DOES NOT EXIST (it is a hold-over from RCX build)|(use lejosdl instead)|(executables are called*.bin NOT *.lej) .
2. You must set classpaths(s) and HOME variable(s) correctly.
3. You must have libusb correctly installed w/ lego drivers and the brick recognized.
4. Windows can just install and run the precompiled tools from cmd.exe (mac and linix/unix must compile, install, and configure libusb and lejosdl:runjava|you need ant and gcc (or some Ccomp) to do this).
5. Don't even bother with eclipse unless you have time to learn the IDE
(use the command line, ant and a text editor).

If you work through the above you can get it to run and get on with building your robot(s)

good luck,
Boozer
boozer
New User

Return to NXJ Software